Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Okay.  So I know that getting sent to the headmaster’s office after getting in a fight is a pretty standard practice across all schools—spy variety or not.  But I’ve just got to believe that it’s a little bit more intimidating when your headmaster is Joe Solomon.  “Sit” he told the two of us, pointing to a pair of chairs in front of his desk.

Grandpa Joe pulled the door closed behind him as Collins and I did what we were told.  Before he came to sit with us, Grandpa Joe made a quick stop at a small fridge that he kept in the corner of his office, pulling something from the middle shelf.  Steaks.

He handed one to each of us, grumbling something about irresponsibility.  “Lucky for you,” he said.  “I was going to make dinner with your dad tonight.”  Collins pressed the cool slab of meat to his cheek and I did the same to my throbbing jaw.  “Guess I’ll just have to tell him what happened, instead.”

It wasn’t an explanation.  It was a promise.  Like when a principal tells a kid that they’re going to call home.  Dad would definitely know about the fight.  Grandpa Joe was going to make sure of it.

Collins didn’t say a word as Grandpa Joe took his seat behind the desk.  I knew that, just this once, it was probably a good idea to follow his lead.  If Grandpa Joe appreciated this, he didn’t let it show.  “I don’t know what’s going on between you two,” he said, leaning forward in his chair.  “But this bad blood ends.  Right here.  Right now.”

Just then, both Collins and I broke out into a yell, defending our sides and knocking down one another.  Our arguing filled that office, each of us growing louder and louder as we tried to top the other, but Grandpa Joe just sat there listening.  He looked as if each of us had been calmly and clearly stating our points one at a time which, let me tell you, was definitely not the case.

Eventually though, Grandpa Joe grew tired of the yelling.  “Enough,” he said.  Even though he was significantly quieter than we were, neither of us dared talked over him.  “I don’t know if you realize this,” he said.  “But you’re both on the same side, here.”

I looked at Collins who turned to do the same.  Yeah.  I guess we were both on the same team.  At our cores, we were both the good guys.  Training to do the same things.  Working for a chance to take the same people down.  I thought for a second that I saw something in his eyes.  Like maybe he was feeling the same faint sense of companionship.

But then he sneered at me and I crinkled my nose as we turned away from one another once more.

“Fine,” Grandpa Joe said.  “If you don’t want to get along, that’s just fine by me, but I don’t want to see any more of this schoolyard fistfight crap, got it?”

Collins and I both nodded.  Grandpa Joe seemed to gage our responses for a moment, but he must’ve decided that we were being sincere enough because then he said, “Luke.  You graduate in two weeks.  Think you can stay away from each other for that long?”

“Yes sir,” Collins promised.  Grandpa Joe glanced in my direction and I nodded.

“Good.”  Grandpa Joe leaned back in his chair again and I felt grateful for the fact that he was staring at Collins and not me.  “How’s the agency app coming along?”

“Just fine, sir,” Collins said with an eager nod.  “Should have my first interview set up soon.”

“Good to hear.  You need anything, you let me know.  Sometimes MI6 needs a swift kick in the rear to get things going.”

Collins smiled.  “Will do, sir.”

“Get out of my office, Mr. Collins,” Grandpa Joe said with a dismissive wave.