galentines day

two : galentines day

• in which dallas' daughter has a lot going on but she tries to keep it all to herself and it gets to be too much

valentines day.

Never had you or your mother truly celebrated the day in a traditional manor, rather the two of you would cuddle up on the couch with heart-shaped treats and watch the latest episode of your favorite reality show; Keeping Up. Sometimes your aunts would join in on the festivities, other years it would just be your mother holding your warm body against her side. Either way, the traditions always stayed the same, there was just times more people were involved.

"Momma." You smiled softly from her doorway, your hands filled with multiple sheet mask as well as blankets and movies, all that would end up piled high on her bed, only to be shoved off and onto the floor when you both grew bored and tired and instead settled for the typical Netflix movie; Coraline.

"I was wondering when you'd make your way in." She giggled softly as she set her phone down, her clear eyes now trained on your small frame that had aged significantly since the last thirteenth of February.

You smiled at her, with heavy arms waddling towards the bed she sat on. You huffed as you released the large mass of blankets, movies, and masks, looking up at her with dramatics only she would admire. Your soft-spoken mother pulled you towards her dramatically, her soft hands grabbing your own and yanking you over the lip of the bed with ease, only reminding you just how soft and gentle she was. Your giggle which was nearly identical to your mothers younger sister, made her smile as well. You giddily sat beside her anxious to spend the next day cuddled into her side with no distractions. To the both of you, today was more important then Christmas. You'd always be able to gift your mother a pair of shoes, or a purse, but you wouldn't always be able to spend an entire day reminding her that you didn't need anything but her. You wouldn't always be able to come home and lay in bed with your mother who for thirteen years devoted every waking moment to you.

Your mother, the teenage alcoholic, the teenage delinquent who went out and got high as a way to avoid her problems. Your mother, the women who never even thought about touching a drug, or a drink after she held you in her arms for the first time that windy March morning. She didn't care that your father wanted nothing to do with the family they could have created, she didn't care that she was eighteen and you were ill. She didn't care at all that the rest of her life would no longer be her own. Her life belonged to you now, and she was more then okay with that.

"Cleaned your face already, aye?" She teased as she saw the patched of red skin coating your cheeks, any traces of makeup cleared off and forgotten as you were more then ready to treat your face with masks you'd been gifted with months ago. You laughed as you knew she had washed hers only a few hours ago, and wouldn't want to be bothered with washing it again, so without even answering her question you handed her a panda mask still confused how these sheets of moist paper could really be helpful to your skin.

"Come on, I brought in Jumanji!" You cheered as your mother laughed, shaking her head at your excitement to watch a movie that always made you cry. Your delicate heart that was shielded by sass and overthinking never failed to flutter your mothers heart; you were her little warrior, but you'd always feel to deeply for somebody else's emotions to ever win the battle alone.

"Go put it in then." She giggled as she patted your bottom watching as you strode across the carpeted floor in a pink onesie, your hair damp and braided down your back. You snapped around to glare at her for the action, your lip almost immediately after being pulled between your teeth and your eyes being squeezed shut. You hated think about how your actions made people feel, you hated how you constantly overthought even the simplest joke, she knew it was just a teasing expression...right?