Warning: Fraud Risk

Start from the beginning

Bunty almost allowed herself to split into a look of sudden surprise – was Anna really going to take her up on the offer?

"Well, I'm not making any promises on its quality, but I can say it has plenty of sweet in it. I added plenty of sugar that I'm sure any sweet tooth would run into the hills for."

And for the first time in a long time, she caught a genuine smile from Anna. It was something she only saw on occasion when she first arrived. It was something she grew instantly envious of knowing that Newt pined over her.

But now she was only pleased to see it, as it was a sign that the girl before her was embracing some real interaction.

"It'll be a nice change from the premade salami sandwiches in the cafeteria," Adelaide remarked, rubbing a crick out of her wrist. "I'm sure I've forced a few pounds on Smethwyck with the amount of hospital meals I've shared with him."

Bunty almost caught a giggle out of her, "Well, brilliant. I'll just - I'll just pull them out of the oven, shall I?"

Anna nodded, rising from her seat, "That'd be lovely. I – I kind of feel bad knowing I've been here for a few weeks and we haven't even had a proper meal together. You've been awfully kind having me stay here like this and I've just shut you out with not even an ounce of gratitude."

"Oh, you don't have to thank..."

"I'll honestly try to be more open with you, Bunty, you've been nothing but kind to me. I should repay it with at least engaging in a conversation or two. I guess I just haven't been myself lately – what with moving to a new country, starting a high ranking position, leaving my sisters behind, and experiencing what I believe to be heartbreak... I think it's rather much for one person to comprehend."

Bunty almost couldn't manage a proper response as her hands began to shake. It was like with each sentence her new friend gave it made her heart sink that much more. She was almost regretting actually inviting her for some dessert.

"That – that sounds like... now, I don't mean to pry – but that sounds like a lot. Are you sure you want to come down with..."

"Oh, I need to step away from the desk. I'll have a bump on my back just from hunching over papers – if the carpal tunnel doesn't reach my hands first." She gave a grin that was oblivious to the nervous sweat now developing on Bunty's features, "This is honestly kind of like a breath of fresh air. I haven't really opened up to anyone since moving here... I mean, only if you feel up to the earful."

Bunty had a practically scared look about her as she hesitantly nodded and wrung her hands. Oh, by this point she was going to have to spill the truth.

"I can be down in a second," Adelaide continued, walking easily past her collected pile of letters. "I'll just send off these last few reports. Can't have Bonham thinking I'm slacking on my all time record of lecture note taking."

Not having the foggiest clue what she was saying, Bunty gave her a glassy smile and retreated for the staircase. It was a wonder she didn't trip on her way down.

Adelaide was just such a pleasant person – what on earth could have hurt her so that she wouldn't even reply to Newt? She didn't want to believe it was only because of the mistake in the recent engagement news. What could turn such a sweet soul against another that was just as shy and innocent?

It had been more than a week since that note made the deciding factor for Adelaide. Amongst the growing pile of unopened letters was one that she had a distinct distaste for; one that brought bile to the base of her throat.

"Dear Anna,

I can see the trouble you went through to find yourself overseas and practically on my doorstep - and I thought it proper to deliver this message in person, but seeing as you refuse to see me... I shall write it for you.
I thought it was made evident that I left for England with a clear motive, I had work that needed to be done. And I needed a reason to get away."