20| Maybe This Is A Dream

Start from the beginning

Interrupting the two in walked my dad hearing everything Troy just said, "Whoa, hold up. Watch how you're speaking to my daughter." My father sternly asserts.

"Yeaaaaa Ima' head out. It's getting crowded." Mike avoided cutting through the tension. "It's good seeing you Auntie, and Unc I'll be by tomorrow to check on her."

"Ok baby, tell Leah I said hello and give the babies a big hug for me." Mother uttered softly. Her floral scent filled my nose as she made it over to me. "My sweet baby girl," she grabbed my other hand standing on the opposite side of Troy. "Baba and I were on the earliest flight out when we heard the news. We prayed the entire way. It's in God's hands now. So I'm not worried one bit."

Mike left out, and shortly after, the room fell in comfortable silence. With Troy rubbing one hand and my mom doing the same to the other.

"How are you holding up?" My mother took it upon herself to ask, not phased by what she and my father just walked into, hearing Troy go off, which doesn't surprise me because she know Cel better than any of us. My sister doesn't hold back. We all know that. She'll hit below the belt just to get a reaction when she's mad.

Maybe this is a dream. There's no way Troy would cheat, and there's no way he would say what he said to my sister in that tone of voice. I know they don't always get along, but he's never been this aggressively loud with her. And now my mother is being nice to him..? Why isn't she mad he cheated? Does she not know?

"I'm hanging in there, just want her to hurry and wake up."He spoke in a raspy voice, barely making out what he said.

"She will." Sounding as if she was smiling, "I see you let go of the locs and lowered your beard. Looking good."

He did? And he had locs? Since when? Hmm

"Thank you. I do my best." He answered as cheerful as he could, then paused. "I'm happy to see you in good spirits with everything so chaotic right now."

Mama whispered, "just keep praying." As if she was still convincing herself this would all work out.

They quieted. I felt mamas hands on my face, poking and turning my head.

Troy spoke, "the swelling on her eye went down some. Doc said as the puffiness goes away it'll get darker. The other marks are minor scratches. Also, she has a bruised rib. It'll heal with time, and they had to reset her shoulder."

Turning my head to the other side, she examined me. Troy spoke again, "They shaved her head right there to do the surgery. Probably need to figure out how to get the rest of those extensions out of her hair."

Oh, this is serious, serious. I didn't just get my ass kicked. Somebody almost sent me to the tombs, well still might. Lord, if this is a dream, I don't want to be here anymore. This can't be my life. I need to wake up. Somebody help me! Help!

"Her finger moved! I think she's trying to come to." Troy spat out, filled with a burst of new energy. He shook my hand, pressing on my fingers. "Come on, mama, fight." I felt him raise my hand, then the heat from his lips landed on my thumb before he kissed it.

"Might've been reflex." Baba came over, shaking my legs.

"Nah, she's fighting." Troy planted kisses all over my face as he cradled it. "Come back to me."

"She moved again!" Cel shouted, running over. "I'll buzz the nurse."

"Cy, Cy? Can you hear me?" I heard dad say before I felt an enormous gush of pressure come over my body. Like something slammed on top of me.

"Wake up baby girl. Everybody's here to see you. Open your eyes." Troys spoke close to my ear.

I'm trying! I can't, somethings on top of me.