Three

Chapter Three

Haylee Parker

"What do you mean you can't come tonight?" Stella quizzed and pouted.

"Mum is having her friend over and her friend is coming with her daughter." I explained.

"Oh really? What's this friend's name?" Stella asked with a raised brow.

"Betsy."

"And the daughter?"

"Yvette."

"What about-"

"If you ask me one more question about the Duncans I will murder you." I cut her off.

She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. At that rate she'd be balding soon.

"I'll tell the rest I'm guessing?" Stella frowned.

"Yeah you'll have to." I said.

We chatted for a few more minutes before I decided I had to start getting ready for the night's dinner. I waved Stella goodbye and ended the video call.

I got up and went to shower. After scrubbing my hair with a passion fruit smelling shampoo I decided that I wasn't getting cleaner and turned off the shower head. I wrapped my towel around me and decided to dry my hair first.

I grabbed my blow dryer and started the long process. Half an hour later I was clad in mid thigh high waisted leather shorts and a chiffon shirt. I put my hair in a smooth top knot and did my make up. I grabbed a pair of brown suede ankle boots and shoved my feet in them.

"Haylee! The Duncans are here!" My mother shouted from downstairs.

I can't wait for this to end.

~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~

"Oh my God Annabelle! I love the new decor." Betsy complimented.

My mother didn't even try the least bit to be humble about it. I rolled my eyes as she rambled on about how the flowers on the walls were hand painted and not some cheap wallpaper. She seriously needed to tone it down.

I stabbed a pea as I thought of my dad. He was on a business trip in Morocco. This was his third week and I couldn't wait for him to get back. Everything my mother did was infuriating.

"So, Haylee, how's school?" Betsy asked.

"It's going good, just reading and stuff." I answered vaguely.

"Oh you know what I'm talking about! Are the guys any cuter or are you still with that Elliott fellow?" She winked.

I was taken aback by her question as my throat suddenly felt parched. I took a sip of water and looked back at her. She had an expectant look on her face.

"She's dating Elliott Weller. His father is the owner of the Weller shipping company. It's one of the leading companies in the States." My mother briefed.

I heard Yvette scoff. That was the most she had said all night and quite frankly I was shocked. I looked at her and she rolled her eyes before resuming her texting on her phone. She had barely touched her food.

"Ummm, mother, can I go for a walk?" I asked politely.

She looked at me and told me to take Yvette with me. I nodded and Yvette and I excused ourselves from the table.

~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~·~

"Want a puff?" Yvette asked as she handed me the cigarette.

"I don't smoke." I replied and politely declined.