chapter twenty-two

Start from the beginning

His breath was hot in my mouth, his teeth gently nibbling my bottom lip in the way he knew drove me crazy. We were kissing and kissing until the world faded away.

When we came up for air, I hopped down, bare feet meeting the grass. His hands were still on my hips, his forehead resting against mine. We were both not ready to let go.

"I love you," he whispered. "Laura, I love you and I'm so sorry. I was such an idiot for walking away."

I took his face in my hands and kissed him again, much slower and softer. We were not afraid if people watched anymore. Neither of us cared about what could go wrong. We were together and that's what counted.

"I love you too," I said, relieved that I get to speak the words again.

"I never should've left you."

"Hey," I looked up at him, into those eyes I'd missed so much. "You're here now and I understand why you had to do it. The important thing is, you came back."

"I'm sure as hell not going anywhere. Never again."

As we walked out to his car in the parking lot, which, by that point, was the only one left, it started to rain. First, it sprinkled, but within seconds it was pouring.

We ran from that point on, getting soaked through our clothes from the downpour.

Once we reached the car, he kissed me.

He kissed me like we didn't have any time left, like it was the one chance we'd get. The rain was coming down harder now, soaking both of our faces and lips, but it didn't matter. He backed me against his car. We were alone, kissing with reckless abandonment.

His lips claimed mine, tongue parting mine out of habit, teeth nibbling my lower lip. I gasped and he chuckled, continuing to kiss me until I pulled away and asked, "Backseat?"

There it was, a lip bite. "Backseat."

He yanked the handle of the door eagerly, letting me climb in first before slamming it shut behind us. My body met the upholstery and he was on top of me in an instant, neither of us paying any mind to the storm outside. I was focused on him, unable to stop the moan that escaped when his lips trailed down my neck.

I paused, sliding out of my gown and pulling down the zipper of my dress, kicking it away without another thought. His lips returned to mine as I fumbled for the buttons of his shirt. A few seconds later, that was gone too and I was running my fingers down the familiar contours of his chest and stomach.

"Jared," I breathed.

He shivered when I tugged his belt off, groaning when I flicked open the button of his jeans. We worked with what little space we had, desperate to be close again. I needed him. I needed him to know how much I loved him.

Then his pants were gone too and he was kissing my chest, unclasping my bra in the process.

"I love you," he said against my skin, mouth hot. "God, I love you."

"I love you more," I whispered.

He kissed me again, lowering me down once more. He eased himself in, breathing hot and heavy against my ear as he moved slowly, as if afraid of breaking me. But with time, he went faster, gently sucking and biting at the skin of my neck as if to mark me as his. I hadn't realized how much I missed him. It occurred to me then I could never love anyone else like this.

The windows fogged and the rain came down outside, but we remained in the moment, grasping onto the strands of infinity before coming undone.

When it was over, we climbed up into the front seats, his fingers threaded through mine. Both of us were technically dressed, but obviously a mess. The hickey on my neck served as proof of what had happened. I wasn't ashamed though, because for the first time in months I was truly happy.