I stared at the letter for a few seconds, my breath stuck in my throat. This had to be it, my acceptance letter. It had a wax seal with an "H" on it, surrounded by a lion, eagle, badger, and serpent. I turned it over and smiled big at my exact address. I tore open the letter carefully, and pulled out a yellowish letter made of parchment. I must've read it at least 3 times to make sure I hadn't read it wrong.

To my astonishment, my whole life changed for the better it the short few hours since I left the orphanage. I pulled out another piece of paper that appeared to have a list of all the required supplies I needed.

I pinched my arm to be sure I wasn't dreaming. Nope. I was finally going to the place I belonged.

I decided to pick up my things and move on. Once it became dark out again, and I was getting tired, I started looking for another tree to sleep under. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a boy, who seemed to be around my age, sitting on a low wall. His situation appeared to be tricky, too, cause it looked like he was panicking while searching through his trunk.

Not really thinking of what I was doing, I walked up next to him and asked, "Do you mind if I sit here?"

He looked up at me and quickly closed his trunk. "Not at all," he replied. He had jet black, untidy hair and round glasses, which were shielding a pair of brilliant emerald eyes.

I slid my bag off of my back and sat next to him. Examining him a bit more closely, I caught a glimpse of what looked like a wand in his hand. Was he a wizard? I'd never met another person from the magical world, this was probably more exciting than seeing that owl fly at my face.

"Did you run away?" I asked. He didn't answer, but I can understand why. "It's okay. I don't feel like there's much of a future for me anymore either."

"Yeah," He said quietly.

Suddenly, he sat up straight and I had a strange feeling that gave me goosebumps. I felt like we were being watched, but the street seemed to be deserted, and no lights shone from any of the large square houses.

The boy and I turned back to look at each other, I was still quite alert, but almost immediately we stood up once more, me quickly grabbing my grandmother's old wand out of my pocket. I'd sensed rather than heard it (and I expect he had also): someone or something was standing in the narrow gap between the garage and the fence behind us. I looked wide-eyed at the black alleyway. If only it would move, then we'd know whether it was a stray cat or — something else.

"Lumos," we both muttered. Light appeared at the ends of our wands. The boy looked at me surprised, and slightly relieved (probably because I hadn't been a Muggle). The boy held his wand high over his head, and the pebble-dashed walls of number two suddenly sparkled; the garage door gleamed, and between them I saw, quite distinctly, the hulking outline of something very big, with wide, gleaming eyes.

I stepped back, but as the boy did too, he tripped over his trunk. His wand flew out of his hand as he flung out an arm to break his fall, and he landed, hard, in the gutter. I moved closer to him protectively —

There was a deafening BANG, and I threw my arms around my eyes to shield them from the blinding light —

I attempted to grab his arm to pull him onto the pavement, but he had already rolled to safety. A second later, a gigantic pair of wheels and headlights screeched to a halt exactly where the boy had been lying. They belonged, as I saw when I turned my attention upward, to a triple-decker, violently purple bus, which had appeared out of thin air. Gold lettering over the windshield spelled The Knight Bus.

3rd Person POV
For a split second, Harry wondered if he had been knocked silly by his fall. Then a conductor in a purple uniform leaps out of the bus and began to speak loudly to the night.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the strange witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we will take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve —"

The conductor stopped abruptly. He had just caught sight of Y/n, then looked at Harry, who was still sitting on the ground. Harry snatched up his wand again and scrambled to his feet. Close up, Y/n and Harry saw that Stan Shunpike was only a few years older than they were, eighteen or nineteen and most, protruding ears and quite a few pimples.

"What were you doin' down there?" said Stan to Harry, dropping his professional manner.

"Fell over," said Harry. Y/n gave a slight snort.

"'Choo fall over for?" Sniggered Stan.

"I didn't do it on purpose," said Harry, annoyed. One of the knees in his jeans was torn, the hand he had thrown out to break his fall was bleeding. He suddenly remembered why he had fallen over and turned around quickly to stare at the alleyway between the garage and fence. Y/n had walked a bit in the get a closer look. She gave a defeated look to Harry and shrugged. The Knight Bus headlamps we're flooding it with light, and it was empty.

~~~

A/N: Here's chapter one! I hope you enjoyed it more this time, if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
~Audrey 💕

Word Count: 1,631

Comment, Vote, Share