Chapter 11

Elyon's POV

Recap

I woke up, feeling a bit thirsty. I looked at the time and saw that it was just two o'clock early in the morning. I looked around to see Venus and Skye fast asleep. Still feeling hazy from sleep, I wore my slides and walked out of the room and down the stairs.

I got to the kitchen and went straight to the refrigerator. Picking up a bottle of water, I poured myself a glass and downed the content in a go. I decided to take the entire bottle upstairs, just in case I got a thirsty again. When I turned around to leave, I almost screamed my guts out in scare.

Jamal was standing right by the door, watching me.

_____________________________________

"Oh my gosh! You scared me, Jamal." I placed my hand on my chest and took the bottle of water. He shrugged and came into the kitchen, walking past me and to the jug of coffee by the counter.

My mind went back to what happened in his room last night and I felt he was still angry with me. I turned around to look at him, watching him as he picked a mug from the cabinet and poured himself a coffee. He was shirtless, only wearing sweat pants and black socks. I wondered if he wasn't feeling cold but with a body like his, I doubt he would ever feel cold.

"What are awake at this time." His voice tore through my thoughts. I looked at him and saw him watching me through the rim of his cup as he drank his coffee. I frowned at the amount of coffee he has been drinking this days.

"I got thirsty. That question is more for you. What are you doing awake?" I asked him and he kept quiet, finishing his cup of coffee then pouring himself another round.

"I can't sleep." Was his simple reply. I remembered the day after Tolani's party, when I was here. That was the same thing he said. Then it was like a normal statement but now I couldn't help but feel there was more to it.

"What do you mean by you can't sleep? Are you busy or something?" I asked in curiosity, moving closer to him.

"On the contrary, Elyon. I'm trying to keep myself busy so I wouldn't fall asleep because if by chance I fall asleep, I might..." He trailed off and I frowned, corking my head side ways.

It was then I saw the dark circles and eye bags. His eyes were red from accumulated tiredness and the coffee wasn't helping matters at all. He looked like a real life zombie.

"When last did you get a good night sleep?" I asked him, moving closer to him, him watching me move closer to him.

"It's been a while." He muttered, looking away from me. I looked at his hand and saw he was still holding unto his mug of coffee.

I placed his hands on his and I felt him jerk a little beneath my touch, startled that I touched him. I took the coffee from his hand and placed it on the table, he didn't object. He just looked at me through tired eyes.

"Too much coffee is not good for you." I muttered.

"That's the only way I can keep awake." He replied.

"But you need to sleep." I told him and he sighed, looking up. I swear, I saw tears well up in his eyes but when he blinked they were gone.

"I know I need to sleep but I can't. I can't sleep. I must not sleep."

His voice was pleading this time. I didn't know why he couldn't sleep. I knew it was part of his PTSD but I didn't know what exactly was going on. Due to his numerous coffee in take, I figured he was suffering from insomnia as well so I had to research methods to manage it.