[30] Real Love | Dead Calm II | Tease

Start from the beginning

"I got a jet going straight in my butt right now," he giggled, sounding intoxicated as sent me a goofy smile. I opened my mouth, trying to find words to say, but each time nothing came. The heartbroken feeling from earlier was masked with confusion and worry as I thought about where he got all of this. Everything clicked as my eyes took another tour around the area– Barry's money.

Obviously, he spent it all and now, there was no hope of returning it and clearing our name. No chance of paying off his restitution. I cringed at all the LED lights and pool floaties around John B's property. I took a deep breath as I thought of a solution to this madness, but my mind was empty as I gaped at everything he spent the money on. My irritation sparked as I turned back to JJ.

"You should come in, Beck. I feel like we left things off on a bad note," he slurred, waving me over. "Here, here. Have some champagne. Let's talk, babe."

I watched with wide eyes and a frown as he grabbed two champagne glasses, sloppily filling them with the bottle he held in his ringed hand.

"Salud!"

My heart pounded as he brought the bottle to his lips, tipping it back and drinking as much liquid as he could get in his mouth. The glasses he just filled were completely forgotten, most likely mixed with hot tub water now.

"JJ, tell me this wasn't your restitution money," I pleaded, referring to everything that was new.

"Yep! All of it," he shrugged, smiling as he gestured to everything around him. I couldn't believe my eyes. I left him alone for half a day. "Express delivery is expensive."

I narrowed my eyes, unable to stop myself from getting frustrated with him. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose as I tried to calm down. I turned around, taking a few steps away so I could think properly. But, the sound of running hot-tub water and fancy jets distracted me. I ran a hand through my hair. The sound didn't just distract me, it irked me. He's a fucking idiot.

"Bee, what?" He snapped, challenging me. I swivelled around, staring at him in disbelief. I got ready to yell at him, to tear him a new one, but as I looked at his face, I couldn't bring myself to do so. "Can't man have a little luxury in life?"

I didn't say anything as I watched him fling his sunglasses off to the side. He stuttered tipsily as he tried to explain his reasoning to me. "Come on, all this scrimpin' and scrapin'.. I mean, baby girl, we.. You only live once, right?"

I shook my head, showing him I didn't agree with him. I couldn't wipe the disappointed look off my face as he looked at me, his blue eyes pleading with my own to understand. "Enough of this emotional shit. Get in the Cat's Ass. Come on."

"In the what?" I said, barely above a whisper.

"In the Cat's Ass. That's what I named her," he smiled, tapping the side of the tub. "Oh, wait! Look, you'll love this."

He leaned over and flipped a switch with the hand that wasn't holding the champagne bottle. I watched as a disco ball turned on, spinning wildly and reflecting the colour blue. Water squirted from different areas, soaking JJ as he smiled blissfully.

He laughed, waiting for me to join him. "I know. It's cool, right? Disco mode."

"You shouldn't of done this, JJ," I told him, my eyes darting from one thing to another. His smile immediately dropped as I tried to elaborate. "You could've .. payed for restitution.. or.. or—"

"Well, I didn't do that, Beckett!" He snapped, his booming voice startling me as he stood up in the hot-tub. I let out a gasp as my eyes dragged over his abdomen, the discoloured skin jumping out at me as I brought a hand to my mouth. "I'm sorry I'm not fucking perfect like you want me to be!"