It was yet another day for Aoi Akane—yet another opportunity to see his beloved Ao-chan. Being the vice president to exorcist Minamoto Teru meant that he had the burden of talking to him everyday.

The school mystery had two choices: he either did whatever Teru asked him to or be tortured with his bracelet.

Either way, Akane would end up hanging from the ceiling because of his title as a "half-cockroach". He never wanted to be involved with apparitions; however, if it meant Ao-chan was  safe, it wouldn't be a problem. Akane promised himself he would protect her no matter what he needed to do.

His contract with the clock keepers would be ending soon so why not take advantage of the fifteen minutes he had everyday?

 "Aoi, are you busy?"

Great. Just great. Akane set his pen down, focusing his attention on the demon that sat across from him. Student council president Minamoto Teru was smiling from ear-to-ear as usual. It was as if he wasn't talking to someone he tortured for over five hours.

 "What is it?"

Teru picked up an envelope and a box from his desk drawer. "[Surname]-san of the Arts Club is quite... eccentric. Would you mind checking on her for me, Aoi?"

[Surname]? What a familiar name.

 "Don't bother heading to her classroom. Just head straight to the Art Room."

Without any questions, Akane took the box from Teru and left the student council room. Although he'd prefer not seeing Mystery no. 4, this was a request (definitely an order) from his superior. Plus, as long as he has his glasses on, Akane wouldn't have to worry about any supernatural.

On the way to the Art Room, Akane noticed that the box he was carrying was heavy. After a short-lived internal debate, he stopped in his tracks.

There was nothing wrong with taking a peek.

 "Ah, what did I expect, anyway?"

The box was full of art supplies. Akane didn't even need to look at it twice to know that they were expensive. Heaving a sigh, he continued walking until he reached the Art Room. There was no noise coming from inside. Was [Surname] even inside or was Teru just messing with him?

 "Hello, [Surname]-san? Are you there?" No answer.

 "[Surname]-san?" he called again. Still no answer.

 "Hey, [Surname]!" His patience was wearing thin. With the lack of a reply, Akane slammed the door open. It felt like his soul was going to escape his body. He let out a blood-curdling scream.

There was a girl lying in the middle of the room. Seeing as his voice didn't wake her up, she must have been in a deep sleep—or maybe she was unconscious and in danger. Akane's heart sped up, and it was then that dark thoughts started to invade his mind. What if the girl was dying? Should he call an ambulance or take her to the infirmary?

 "Hnggg." She made a sound.

A sigh of relief escaped Akane's lips. At the very least, the girl was alive.

[Name] [Surname] showed no signs of getting up. Akane couldn't get a good look at her face, mainly because of the surgical mask she was wearing. The girl was curled up into a ball, her [hair color] bangs slightly hiding her eyes.

Should he just leave the items and go back to the student council room? Teru didn't necessarily tell him to give it to her in person. Other than that, he didn't want to get involved with her. What good would it do to stay with a girl as careless as her? He swore that there were some specks of dried paint on her hair.

 "How long are you going to keep staring at me?"

It had been the second time this day that Akane lost his composure. Before he had any time to react, the girl sat up—her [eye color] orbs piercing his own. Okay, maybe she wasn't that careless; but she surely was a weirdo.

 "Minamoto-kaichou told me to give you these."

The girl merely stared as Akane set the items he brought on the floor. She clicked her tongue, yet sat up and reached for the envelope. The boy could only stare while [Name] read the letter.

 "You should hurry up and leave. Take this back with you." Her words were cold. The box creaked against the floor as it was pushed back to Akane. "Tell that president not to pester me again. Got it?"

Akane could only nod his head, head full of thoughts caused by the glare [Name] was giving him. Before he knew it, he found himself walking back to the student council room—dejected and slightly annoyed. Who knew that there was someone who could bravely reject Teru's favor (or gifts).

Besides, who on earth could sleep there while bearing the strong smell of paint?  That crazy girl didn't even bring a futon with her. Akane opened the door to the student council room, only to be greeted by an exasperated Teru. His eyes were on the items Akane carried back with him.

 "So you failed, hmm?"

 "Minamoto-kaichou, whoever that girl was, I don't feel I should get involved with her again." He heaved a sigh. "But just who is she for you to exert effort in? This box of art supplies seems to be expensive."

Teru tilted his head to the side. "Didn't you know? Her identity was a hot topic during the opening ceremony."

 "Ha?"

 "That girl is a genius—she's an artist known throughout Japan."

❀❀❀

[A/N]: Hello! I hope you're all doing fine during your time at home. I just published this here in Wattpad so if you've read something similar on Quotev, it's probably this. Please vote and comment any constructive criticism (or just anything haha). 

Obviously, JSHK/TBHK belongs to AidaIro. This is just a fanfic I wrote because why not? Akane deserves more love. 

❀❀❀

[A/N]: Edited 11/30/2021.