Seeing red she retorted equally aggressively, “and neither is he. Though today you’re being a mindless idiot. What has gotten into you? No one has ever held your one indiscretion against you, yet you are willing to suddenly judge Sonny on his? Is that what we’re saying? I had you as many things Dad, but never a hypocrite.”

A flash of anger glinted at his eyes, but the words of his retort were frozen on his lips as a voice called across the kitchen, “Granddad!”

Her father turned and caught Ethan as he ran across the kitchen from the utility room, Mickey the growing puppy on his heels, giving him a big hug he buried his head into the boy’s hair, then turned to look at the man who’d followed him into the kitchen awkwardly.

                “I get that you hate me Carl, just wish you hadn’t sucked me into this family first.” He turned to Martha, “I’m going to have to move out darling, I can’t stay here with this going on, I’ve had a childhood full of people not wanting me in their homes, I’m not having it as an adult.”

Martha shook her head, and nodded at Ethan, “this is neither the time nor the place, and I’m not talking about it now. We’ll talk later, all of us, like adults.” Sonny gave a nod of agreement, which made her smile, but her father was scowling. “Dad, DON’T do this, there’s been too much heartache in this family. We’ll talk later.” She turned to her son who looked a little bewildered, “so do you want sausages for dinner?”

He nodded, “that’s my favourite!” As he rubbed his belly enthusiastically, she glared at the two men over his head and warned them strongly before turning back to dinner.

Lucy arrived by the time dinner was served and lightened the atmosphere considerably. Martha could tell by her darting eyes that she knew trouble was afoot, but she wasn’t about to mention it in front of Ethan, and she could only smile gratefully at her aunt.

                “You going to help me put the chickens to bed?” It was Carl who broke the silence between the four adults as he looked at Ethan. As could be easily predicted, Ethan who loved all things farm, jumped to his feet nodding in agreement.

When they left the room Lucy turned to Martha, “so what’s going on?”

Sonny left the room and Martha groaned, “those two are at loggerheads, my father is throwing down ultimatums, and shouting his mouth of about Sonny. And rightly he’s got his back up and is threatening to walk out. Lucy, why the hell can’t things be simple?”

Lucy walked over and gave her a hug, “I wondered how you’d feel over...you know...him.”

                “Gutted, elated, guilty...sad” she sighed, “I just don’t need the added hassle, you know. I’ve got too much to think about.”

                “Bloody men and their egos, hey? Why don’t you come to the pub with me tonight? Leave the men to their own devices. Your father will love to have time with Ethan.”

Martha looked undecided, the thought of confrontation between the two men was a painful thought, but she deserved a break, a breather away from them, didn’t she?

Lucy chuckled, “they aren’t going to kill each other, Sonny has too much respect for your Dad, and Carl, he’s just a wimp. Let’s go, there’s no dancing at the church hall tonight, so I’m free.  We can go to the Oak, a couple of drinks, you can tell me all about your new plans are now that things have changed. I’m hoping that this means we’re going to see more of you?”

An hour later they were sat in the corner of the bar together, a drink each in front of them, and virtually every eye of every patron trained on them.