Part Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five

An angry and disappointed Martha made for a very efficient one, by the time he emerged from the office she was already at the front door saying goodbye to the last stragglers and of course Sam who was officially finishing her shift.

When she turned around Sonny felt a bolt of lust at the expression on her face, she was livid, but confused, the signs of attraction, desire that he’d witnessed earlier were still there, and instead of arguing or shouting as expected, she dropped her eyes and made for the back of the restaurant.

                “Is that it?” He goaded her, “is that all you’re giving this?”

She shook her head, her eyes still averted, “I’ve nothing to say to you.”

He leaned on the bar and watched her try to keep busy, for the second time he’d tried to confront what was happening between them, and for the second time she was in denial, running away from him. He realised that Ethan had been a huge factor initially, but he knew about him now, he understood all that entailed, and he also realised that the future wasn’t easy...not whilst Oldbury was in town, but that was about to change, he knew that too. He had to make her see that her future contained him.

But for now he was happy watching her, knowing that she was in a quandary over her feelings for him. She’d pushed him away so much, but he had never believed that their night together was a mistake, and her actions before tonight had only reinforced that. Then earlier, when he’d kissed her, it was there all over again, tension, desire and uncontrollable love. He smiled, because that was what it was. She just wasn't ready to acknowledge it yet.

                “Are you just going to stand there and not help at all?”

The snap of her voice caused him to focus on her. He gave a shrug, then watched as anger erupted from her every pore .

                “We’re closed tomorrow, and I want this place sorted so I can get on with things, is that a lot to ask?”

He shrugged again and it had the required result of her storming across the room to him, squaring up, “what is wrong with you?”

He gave a slight smile, then closed the space between them, and her protests and anger died on her lips as his mouth found hers.  And it was there,  that fire that he’d never experienced until she walked into his life.

Martha’s hands clawed at him, she clung on to him as their kiss ignited everything, Sonny controlled her mouth, savouring it, devouring it, and when she let out a moan, he trailed his lips down to her exposed throat, her head thrown back in rapture. He lifted his head, wanting to savour that, her face, her desire...those moments when she couldn’t hide from him. She opened her eyes and he could see the indecision that still sat there. She wanted this, but she was scared of it, with a smile, he devoured her lips once more.

Her hands were the first ones to push at his jacket, throwing it back over his shoulders, he took a moment to throw it to the floor, then his hands returned to her, drawing her close, holding her body against him. His hands found the zipper at the back of her dress her, pulling it down to her waist, and his warm fingers slid over the smoothness of her bare skin. And that elicited a moan, a sigh against his lips.

Sonny was desperately hungry, every nuance, every subtle change drove his unquenchable ardour up a notch. A noise from the street reminded how exposed they were, anyone passing would see them, him jacket off, her dress half open, so, hands still inside the back of the open dress, he nudged her forcibly backwards to the office.