I'm not a clan born ninja.

But that doesn't mean I can't be strong.

Sakura gritted her teeth and gripped the ground with her toes.

I will be strong.

I refuse to let this chance just pass me by.

I will not give up.

"Not ever!" Sakura reached as gently as she could and sent the ground up, forcing the fragile sticks back to their former position. The ground trembled, moving slowly and carefully as the sticks rose.

"Yes!" Sakura couldn't stop her squeal of delight from escaping.

Stubborness was the key to Earthbending.

"Hey, Sakura," a familiar, dreamy, hot, enticing, tortured voice called her name. She dropped her stance instantly.

"Sauske!" What had Toph-sensei done to get the dirt off? Sakura mimicked what she had done and a few patches of earth fell, but the majority stayed stuck. "What brings you here?"

He looked at the three twigs she had stood upright with Earthbending.

He snorted. "Is that seriously all you can do?"

What?

"What do you mean?" Surely he meant-

"Miss Toph is so much more impressive then you are. You saw what she did. And you can barely even raise twigs."

It would have hurt less if he'd socked her in the gut.

"Why would you say that?" She whispered.

"This is pathetic," Sauske spat. "You'll only drag us down. You're a dead weight who doesn't contribute anything to the team."

Instead of backing down, Sakura felt a sudden fury rise within her. She heard the ground underneath her creak as she squeezed it with her toes.

"Since when do you ever contribute anything to the team?!" Sakura yelled. "Since when did you even care about the team?!"

He glared at her.

But she wouldn't back down.

She was dirty and tired and frustrated, but she would not let him bring her down.

Stubbornness is the key to Earthbending.

"I'm nowhere near as good as Toph-sensei! But I will get there. I will be as good as she is. And then you'll see and you'll know that it's not me who's dragging down the team.

"It's you, with your hatred and revenge. You hate and hate and you're always so furious and you take it out on Naruto and I because we aren't. We can live happily while you drown in your anger.

"He'll get stronger! So will I! And we won't use anger to burn and burn until we're exhausted and tired and can't stop!

"You'll get your revenge, Sauske. You're strong already. And when you kill whoever you're trying to kill, I hope you choke on his blood."

It was the most she had ever said to him at one time.

Sakura whirled, ignoring his stunned face and stormed off.

Hot, angry tears slid down her cheeks, cutting through the remaining dirt.

"I can't believe I gave up Ino for you," she whispered.