Coffee- 9

I grumble as Jackie picks me up off the ground. She insisted I wear a bandana over my eyes while we went to pick up Faith, so I would be surprised. Turns out, she is terrible at leading me, so I've just fallen on the ground. "You better not have messed up my dress, J."

"Oh, I didn't." But I feel her brush me off anyway. "Okay, now slowly walk up the steps."

"I got that, now." I feel like a fool as I lift my foot and clumsily swing it through the air, finally resting on the hard surface of the step. I make my way up and wait as Jackie knocks on the door. After a bit, I hear it creak open and feel the weight of someone joining us on the porch.

"Mom, my friends are here!" Faith's angelic voice calls out. My heart pitter-patters just a wee bit faster. Okay, honestly, it's like horses zipping down a racetrack, their hoofs beating faster than light.

"Okay, Jackie, take this ridiculous thing off." Jackie sighs.

"Jeez, Molly, so impatient. We should be fashionably late, anyway." She moves behind me and gingerly unties the bandana, me hoping it hasn't crushed my hair too badly. I blink a few times, adjusting to the new light. Then, I see her.

"Whoa." I can't help staring as Faith teeter-toters on her feet, face burning.

"Is it okay?"

"Okay?" A strapless pale grey dress flutters around her knees, the top littered with small gemstones, in shades of purple and pink. "Okay?!" Her short brown hair curls loosely, framing her petite face. Her fingers tot with the hem of the skirt, nails painted a blush pink. "Faith, you look amazing." She flushes darker.

"O-oh, um, thanks. You too." She shyly lifts her eyes to look at the dress I found with Jackie last week. I grin as she smiles up at me. This beautiful, sweet, endearing girl likes me? Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

"Let's get to it lovebirds!" Jackie claps her hands excitedly before taking mine and Faith's, tugging us down the stairs.

"Hold up. Wait up a sec, J. What about your mystery date?" I say, releasing my hand from hers. "Here." I mumble, opening the backseat door up for Faith. She smiles again, her lips quirking up into an expression that lights up her features.

"Thanks." She slides in the back of Jackie's SUV, me following suit. In the front, Jackie flaps her hand at me.

"He'll meet us there later. He said he had something to do before he came, so he'll be even later than us." I furrow my brow, but before I can say anything, Jackie continues. "This girl, René, throws the best parties." Jackie grins in the rear-view mirror and makes jazz hands, momentarily letting go of the wheel. "That's why she throws the major ones everyone goes to. The back-to-school one, the Christmas one... basically, if you can name it she threw it, and-"

"Jacqueline! The wheel!" I cry out.

"Oh!" Jackie quickly straightens the car, giving a sheepish look. "Sorry."

"Ohmygod, you're gonna kill us before we even get to have one drink." I rub my temples in annoyance.

"Aw, Mocha, she's just excited." Faith rests a hand on my shoulder and I glance up to see her figure leaning towards me in the dark car. My skin begins to tingle with electricity at her touch. Crackling, zinging sparks trail down my shoulder and into my chest, sending my soothed heart into another flurry of pounding beats. "Don't be too hard on her." Faith smirks. "Though, do try not to kill us, Jackie?" J smiles in response.

The brunette beside me begins to trail her hand down my bare arm, leaving a burning trail in her wake. I inhale deeply and my chest fills. Finally, she intertwines her fingers with mine and squeezes. I grip her hand in return and she slowly lowers her head onto my shoulder. For a split second, I meet Jackie's gaze in the rear view mirror. She gives me a sincere smile before returning her attention to the road again.