Chapter 4- The Sorting

I got off the train holding Draco's hand. I'd never done it before but he seemed alright with it. I suppose I thought doing it would protect me from Fred. Damn, I just couldn't get him out of my head. A very tall person was standing on the platform shouting about first years should go to him. I knew this to be Hagrid, the gamekeeper. Draco led me over there and Hagrid led us to the boats.

                                                 *************************************

The view of the castle was spectacular. For that short moment, all thoughts of the Weasleys had disappeared and they continued to clear as we were led into the Great Hall by Professor McGonagall. I knew her to be the head of Gryffindor house so frankly I was scared of her. Draco saw my anxiety and squeezed my hand tightly.

"You'll be fine. It's the sorting next", he said, half-grinning. Did he know something I didn't?

Names were called to try on the hat and people were sorted into the houses. I cheered when people were put into Slytherin and kept thinking to mysef that they would be my friends.

"Malfoy, Draco!"

My beloved best friend walked over to try on the hat and it hadn't even been placed on his head properly before the hat shouted:

"Slytherin!"

I cheered so hard I nearly lost my voice. More and more names were called. Then finally...

"Smith, Kyra!"

I walked up the stone steps shaking. The hat was placed on my head and I could hear its voice inside my head. I didn't pay any attention to what it was saying. I was too busy looking for the comfort of Draco.

I searched the Slytherin table and eventually found those grey eyes but all their warmth had gone. He looked almost scared, no, not scared, sad. Draco Malfoy was sad. I grinned at him and he returned it halfheartedly. I turned away and tried to pay attention to the hat, when a flash of red caught my eye.

I turned to see Fred staring at me. I looked straight into his eyes and he looked directly into mine. For a moment, I got lost in them, everything around me had disappeared. For what seemed like forever, he finally broke eye contact when the boy I assumed was George tapped his shoulder. I looked away and faced the floor, feeling disappointed in myself for losing myself in those deep brown eyes. I wasn't menat to be feeling this! He was evil!

Instead I tried to focus on what house the hat would choose. It was going to say Slytherin, I knew it was.....

"Gryffindor!"

I could've cried. I wanted to cry. I was meant to be in Slytherin. The hat had made a mistake. I wasn't bad. As the hat was lifted off my head and I walked down the steps, I looked at Draco. He wasn't looking at me. I ignored all the cheers from the Gryffindor table, slowly and miserably, sat down next to a girl with a mass of bushy hair.

"Hi, I'm Hermione Granger. I was hoping you'd be in the same house of me, you look really nice! You were holding hands with that blonde Slytherin boy, weren't you? Are you too in love? If you are that's really sweet but I wouldn't let anyone catch you two together though. Gryffindor and Slytherin are rivals. I read about in Hogwarts:A History. I'm Muggleborn, are you?

I nodded.

"That's brilliant. Do you want to be my friend? That boy over there is Ron Weasley, he's got three brothers at this school. Their names are Percy, George and Fred. Do you know them?"

I nodded and stared at Fred, who (luckily) was talking to Ron. I didn't want him to catch me staring at him.

"Jiminy Cricket! Would you look at the time? We'll be sent to our dormitories soon. I hope we're sharing one. What do you think will be your favourite subject? I'm quite looking forward to Transfiguration. Turning objects into other objects. How exciting! Do you play Quidditch? I don't think I'll be very good at it."

Merlin's beard! This girl liked to talk! Right! Now it was my turn.

"Yeah. I play Quidditch. I'm a Seeker. That blonde Slytherin boy, Draco Malfoy, is training me. He's my best friend," I claimed proudly.

Hermione looked astonished.

"Wow!" You should try for the Gryffindor team-"

She didn't get to finish because we were ushered out of the hall into the common rooms. After half an hour, everyone had gone to bed and I was the only one left except from one person... Fred Weasley.

We were silent and I was begging for him to leave inside my head. It was as if he read my mind when he stood up and made to leave. He winked at me and gave me a smile.

"Goodnight Kyra Smith," he said and walked up the stairs.

I stared after him shocked. How did he know my name? I was angry at him for it but that wasn't the only thing I was confused about.... Why did I feel butterflies in my stomach whenever he talked? Was I falling for him? No, I couldn't be. He was my enemy. I stood up and walked to my room.

As I walked passed Hermione Granger's bed, I pushed that thought out of my head. I went to sleep and had dreams of Quidditch with Draco. They were fantastic dreams but every so often, the Weasleys would pop back into my head...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

I know I updated quite soon but I am afraid to say that you musn't get used to it as I have soooooooo much homework!!!!!!! Hope you like the chapter! Next chapter will involove some Kyra and Draco moments! Some secrets will be revealed! Thanks for sticking with the book! Remember to vote and comment!!!!

LJ1299 xoxo