Chapter One

Something was different.

Aelin felt it-her magic felt it. Though the day was crisp and cool in Orynth, something just was... odd.

Curled up like a cat, she lounged on a small chair on her balcony, a fur blanket wrapped around her, and a steaming mug of tea clasped in her hands.

She had woken early this morning, as she now did these days. Rowan was asleep in their room, his great body covered in blankets and furs. Grabbing a spare one, she had padded down the many stairs and hallways of her castle, not meeting any other people. Her footsteps quiet and light, as taught by Arobynn Hamel in her days at the Assassins Guild, she had slipped into the kitchen and quickly made a pot of her favourite herbal tea and grabbed a chocolate cookie from the pantry.

Now, back up on the balcony attatched to her rooms, she gazed over the rolling hills of Terrasen, covered in a thick layer of white snow. She let the cool, early morning breeze brush against her hair, her face, as she breathed in the scent of pine and snow.

The sun was a cool yellow orb in the distance, just risen about the hills. She heard Rowans gentle snore from behind her, and she took another sip of her tea and nibble of her cookie. He was always exhausted these days, from re-building her kingdom and using his magic constantly. He had come close to burn-outs multiple times.

She let loose a long sigh, clenching her hands tighter around her cup. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary, in Terrasen or in any part of Erilea, for that part. Dorians reports had said that, just like Terrasen, Adarlan was re-building. Beginning afresh.

She tucked her knees under herself, taking another sip of tea. Thanks to her Fae ears, she heard the bed-springs groan, and the soft rustle of pants being pulled on.

She didn't turn, just kept staring at the beautiful red kingsflame that grew, strong as ever, amongst the snow on the hills.

She smelt Rowan before she felt him; the soft scent of pine and snow twined around her, then his warm lips were on her shoulder, pressing a soft kiss to the open skin.

She couldn't help but smile as he said against her shoulder, "Why are you up so early, Fireheart?"

"Why not?" The heat of his mouth trailed up to her collarbone. Her toes curled under the blanket. His warm lips moved up, up her neck to the tip of her arched ear. She shivered, but turned her head, where his pine-green eyes we, so, so close to her own.

He smiled softly, before pressing a deep, slow kiss to her chilly lips. He pulled away, and smiled softly. "Good morning."

She pouted at her loss of warmth, but he scooped her up, blanket and all, into his muscular arms. She leaned her head against his bare chest as he settled back onto the chair.

She breathed in his scent as he studied the beautiful landscape before them. "Is everything ok?"

She sighed, setting her teacup onto the small table beside them and licking the cookie dust off her fingers. She snuggled deeper into his warmth. "Yes."

His grin was one of a predator. "Liar."

She sighed, lifting her head from his chest. "Something feels off."

He leaned back in the chair. "I feel it, too. My magic does."

She turned her head, letting to chill breeze sift through her golden hair. "Do you know what it is?"