xvii | A Darker Power

Start from the beginning

        I twisted my hand and the string of water circled around my body, making me smile. But as it circled a second time it started to wobbled, and I gasped, trying to regain my focus, sustain my power. But it was too late and the water burst from its restraints, spraying over me and the ground around me.  I sighed, feeling a tenseness tightening in my muscles. How did all the other Ceaelie do it? How did they maintain their energy? How could they perform such finery when it took so much effort?

        With a frustrated kick, I turned and made my way back to the cabin, feeling the last rays of heat from the sun fall on my bare back. There was a tingling beneath my skin, alerting me to the burn I was going to receive later.

        The vines retreated as I made my way in, growing back as I entered. The cabin was cast into a sudden gloom, the sun fading from the sky.

        I need to get out of here, to do something. Anything! I was growing anxious from being cooped up. It was an effort just to keep myself occupied without going insane. It was annoying and useless.

        The Base… It could be possible. I could maybe sneak in. I had some information - very little, but enough - to find my way around there. If I was lucky, there wouldn’t be an emergency threat warning circling through the base and their guards were cut low. But it was a massive if.

        Trees. That was all I could see, and it seemed that they were the only thing that marked the boundaries of Blowing Rock. The forest was thick and dark, seemingly never-ending. But that didn’t stop me from sneaking through them, agile and stealthy.

        The Base wasn’t far. I remembered its position easily. But once I’d arrived in the trees outside the boundaries I let out a little gasp. Guards upon guards circled the perimeter, ensuring extra protection. They took it in turns to circle around the base, two groups meeting at the centre. More soldiers marched around the boundaries and I had to hide behind a thick trunk to remain hidden.

        So he did tell them. They know I’m here, or was.

        Fear and anger pooled in my stomach as I watched the patrols. They were obviously guarding something - something important. Ellasyna – it was my first thought. It had to be within the base somewhere. And I was going to find it.

        But as I edged forwards suddenly a hand covered my mouth from behind, stifling my scream as the attacker started pulling me backwards into the forest. I gasped, immediately swinging backwards, sending my elbow into a hard stomach. A deep grunt sounded, and I immediately knew my attacker was male. My foot slammed into his knee, and his grip faltered on me as he lost balance and fell to the ground. I wasted no time in ripping my Belor free of its restraints and jumping on top of the man with the sharp edge angled at his throat.

        If I were to push the blade further he’d be dead, and blood would be gushing everywhere. But I stopped when he held his hands up in surrender, his voice ringing clear. “Stop! I’m sorry, Valia. Please, you’ve gotta trust me!”

        “How do you know my name?” I hissed fiercely, pressing my Belor into his skin.

        “Howland,” he murmured, and I froze. He knew Mr Howland?

        What if he’s lying? What if he’s only going to kill me if I release him? What if he’s working with the Major to kill me?

        But something in his soft grey eyes stopped me, made me believe him. “Just listen… I know you probably don’t trust me. But you’ve gotta leave. You’ve gotta get out of here before he sees you. Do you know what he’ll do? Do you know the consequences of your reckless actions? If he finds you he will kill you. But we have bigger problems.”

        “How can I trust you?” I growled. “How do I know you aren’t working for him?”  

        “I’ll prove it to you.”

        I gulped, eyes narrowing. He cannot be trusted. Kill him. All rationality left me when my curiosity took over. Reluctantly I released him, helping him stand, and when he didn’t attack I relaxed slightly.

        “Follow me,” he ordered, walking into the forest with me rushing to catch up. His strides were fast and determined, as if he just wanted to get away from the base, and I eagerly followed, wanting to know what he meant by bigger problems. Yet...I remained on guard the whole time. After all, could I really trust a strange man that only claimed to know Mr Howland; that claimed to know things I didn’t.

        “I see you’ve met Adam then,” Mr Howland stated when we arrived at the cabin. I looked between both men, eyes narrowed, crossing my arms, expecting answers.

        “What the hell is going on?” I tapped my foot in impatience, cocking my head to the left. Howland and ‘Adam’ shared a glance, their eyes meeting with a hidden conversation following. They didn’t know what to tell me by the looks of it, and if I was correct, they didn’t want to tell me much.

        “Well, if you aren’t going to tell me anything…” I began turning, wanting to leave.

        “No, wait.” I turned back at Howland’s call, watching as he fought with ‘Adam’, who continued to gesture towards me. They fought for another minute as I stood there, waiting. But I couldn’t hear a single thing, even as I strained.

        Damn…

        Finally, they turned to me, faces a mask of mystery. Whatever they were going to tell me, it wasn’t going to be good.

        “There is something darker out in the world, Valia.” It was ominous, but sent me on edge. They will arise… It ran through my head then, something I had kept in the back of my mind. “You think Winchester is bad? Be on your guard.”

        I wanted to laugh. It sounded ridiculous, to be honest. Something darker? My main priority was to get Ellasyna, and get the hell out of this town. I won’t worry about an ominous threat that could be nothing.

        “Really, Valia, something dangerous is coming…”

        “What? What is so dangerous? Why can’t you just tell me?” I took in a deep breath, closing my eyes, concentrating on my heart beat. “You know what?” I whispered, taking a step back, opening my eyes. “This is stupid.” Then I turned around, ignoring their protests, and I walked away.

 _________________________________________

Hola! Yes, it is Friday, and i (Steph) have no school! So this was an easy thing to do!

So, enjoy! Remember to comment and let us know what you think!

-Dee and  Steph