Inferno

No one warned her.

No, not at all.

No one thought Ramo shooting Neco as a part of their plan was a piece of information important enough.

That stupid coward!

"Ramo, let me go! Ramo!"

Ramo.

R a m o.

RAMO.

She almost hates his name now.

"Neco..."

Neco.

N e c o.

NECO.

She hears his name in the back of her mind again and again as Ramo takes her away from the crime scene. And before she can say another word, she sees black.

B l a c k.

Only black.

Then, white.

*

She sees white when she wakes up, too. Her room looks so white and blurry, at the same time. So strange.

Really strange.

Too strange.

Neco. Ramo. The gun.

She fainted. The baby!

Her fingers go to her belly, caressing slowly. Trying to feel something. Anything, even though it's impossible at the moment.

"You're a strong little thing, aren't you?" she whispers lovingly as the door opens, making her drop her arms around her body.

"Fatoș! Thank God, you're awake!" Hasan's smile is as warm as it can be in this circumstance. His eyes are tired, sad, and, for a moment, Fatoș imagines the worst-case scenario.

Neco dying.

D Y I N G.

And she feels cold.

And she feels like she can't breathe.

And she feels a little dead. Inside. Outside.

She never actually thought about it, death, like this. She is surrounded by it. She sees it too often to be moved by it, but, in this case, she is... moved.

She shot Neco, but killing him wasn't her intention. Scare him, make him go away? Sure! But killing him?

No, not at all.

"Is he ok?"

She has no patience and no time to play pretend. She wants to make sure he is ok, safe, healthy because she knows...

"I have no idea, to be honest. They took him to the hospital... Ramo had to take care of something. Sibel is with Neco, but-"

"Take me to the hospital."

She knows he did it for her. For her baby, too.

*

She knows Boz has been following them, but she doesn't care.

She's never felt so relieved to be in front of the hospital before. Hasan looks as worried as her and, for only one moment, she imagines Hasan and Neco talking and laughing together, playing cards. She knows they would be great friends.

She shakes her head, trying to make these thoughts go away.

"What do you think you're doing, Fatoș? Are you out of your mind?"