nineteen | aftermath

The next few weeks were some of the worst of Hazel and Remus' life.  They had lost James, Lily, Peter and Sirius all in one night.

Hazel found it impossible to believe that Sirius would ever sell out James and Lily.  He was their best friend, James' best man, he loved Harry more than anyone else, it all seemed wrong. 

Hazel pushed for trials, begging Dumbledore to use Veritaserum to gain the truth out of Sirius, insisting there was no way he was working for Voldemort or that he would ever give up James or Lily, but he refused to listen.

While Hazel was pleading for some sort of trial with Dumbledore and grieving for her dead friends, all while now being the legal guardian of Harry, Remus spent most of his time locked away in his room.  By the time November came to an end and after having a very long argument with Hazel, he announced he had to leave and be alone for a while.

Christmas time was approaching and Hazel still hadn't heard from him.

Her life seemed to be crashing down.  Just when she thought it couldn't get any worse, she received an eviction notice from her landlord, realizing she hadn't been able to pay rent in two months. 

It was a week before Christmas when Dumbledore offered her a home in Hogwarts.  By Christmas, Hazel was living comfortably in a rather large room with Harry, still somehow managing to bring her trampoline along with her.  Harry had grown to be a fan of it as well.

On the day of Christmas, she carries Harry down the the Great Hall, entering for the first time since 1978.  Millions of memories of food fights, stealing glances at James, and sneaking in here at night to change the green Slytherin gems red and blue began to race through her mind as she walks over to the rather small table, where only several people were sitting.

"So glad you could join us today, Miss McVay, and you as well, Mr Potter." Dumbledore smiles, as the others say hello to the two as well.  Only Dumbledore, McGonagall, Trelawney, Snape, and six other students were at the table, as most students go home for the holidays.  And with Voldemort gone, Hazel supposes most used this chance to celebrate together as a family.

Hazel sat Harry down on her lap, helping him in eating some mashed potatoes, the others giggling, watching on as Harry spit most of them out once Hazel attempted to spoon fed them into his mouth.

hi all! this story will have one more chapter before ending.  I want to thank you for reading this far, and thank you for the votes!  hope you've enjoyed, i'll be posting the last chapter tomorrow :)

gia