nine | broken promise

Hazel did not keep her promise to Remus.  Several months had gone by since first moving in, and Hazel had completely cut off contact from the others.  Her letter pile from them grew bigger each week, though, she refused to open any of them.  

She placed charms on her small apartment, making sure that no one would be able to apparate inside of it.  She also placed anti-unlocking spells on her door, as the boys and Lily have come by several times, trying to get in to check on her.  Hazel always acts as if no one is home.

This new beginning of hers wasn't all that she made it out to be.  She had landed a job at a publishing house, and also was trying to figure out how to open her own trampoline business.  The only problem with that was she didn't know how to make or manufacture a trampoline, nor did she plan on finding out.

Life was growing increasingly lonely, despite making many new friends within her building and at work.  She always declined going out for a drink after a long shift, and never stayed for more than an hour at any parties that went on in her building.

Hazel still was a part of the Order, though, went on most missions alone.  If she were to be paired with someone, it was usually Dumbledore, the only person she stayed in contact with.  

While stuck inside an office during a particularly hot summers day, Dylan, a literary scout at the publishing house, walked into Hazel's office.  She turned from her large computer, that she was still getting used to, to look at Dylan.

"Yes?" She asks, as he takes a seat in front of her desk.

"Oh, I don't have much to say.  I just couldn't stand being around Wilber for another second." Dylan groans, letting his head fall back.  Hazel let out a chuckle before turning her attention back to her compute.  

"He's not all that bad." She states, fixing a small error in the book she was reading.

"You don't work with him next to you all day," Dylan scoffs, "So, what are you doing tonight?"

Hazel focuses her gaze back on him, a confused expression on her face.

"Well, I was thinking of repainting my bathroom.  I'm quite over the shade of green that I painted it when first moving in."

"That sounds.. thrilling," Dylan laughs, Hazel nodding in agreement, not noticing the sarcasm.  "So I'm guessing you wouldn't be up to dinner?"

Hazel's breath caught in her throat.  She had been asked on, and rejected, several offers for dates in the last several months.  But, she wondered, maybe that was the reason she felt as if she wasn't moving on.  She wasn't giving herself a chance to.

"I think dinner is a great idea."