Part Two: A World War and an Unexpected Meeting

Taiwan shivered, staring wistfully out the window. It was the 25th of December, 1941 - Christmas Day - and she was all alone, as usual.

Not that she minded too much. She had gotten far too used to Japan leaving, going out on military expeditions and leaving her here. Without someone to watch over her in the meantime, you might wonder why she did not simply run away. The truth was, Taiwan couldn't bear to leave him here. He was so cold now, so perhaps, if given a chance, she'd be able to bring back her old friend. Besides, she knew escape was futile - he would only bring her back again, away from S. Korea, and Teacher (China), and the others.

"Merry....Christmas..." she mumbled softly, leaning against the wall. Another lonely Christmas, without being surrounded by family and friends. Taiwan could almost cry, but she didn't. All her tears had been used up, and besides - she was used to this.

Still, her heart ached to think of all her friends back home, probably having a grand celebration right now, perfectly fine without her.

"S. Korea would be running around, playing in the snow," she smiled slightly, thinking of the happy-go-lucky Asian. "Teacher would be yelling at him, freezing from the cold...Japan would have made tea for us, steaming hot cups to drink....and, Hong...Kong.." she choked, squeezing her eyes shut.

What was this feeling? Whenever she thought of him nowadays, her heart filled up with a sense of joy, and her cheeks began feeling warm. Taiwan thought - knew - she had felt this way before, but after being apart for so long, she didn't remember what it was called. Nonetheless, she knew that it was strong, the strongest emotion she'd ever felt. If only she could find out what it was again...

Sighing heavily, she lay her head on the wooden table before her, closing her eyes.

It only felt like a minute before her eyes fluttered open, taking in the surrounding noise.

Raptaptap A small knock was heard from the front of the house, coming from outside. Curiously, Taiwan lifted her head off the table, gazing up at the door before her.

"Japan?" She called, standing up. "I-is that you?"

Raptaptap the knock started again.

"Ja..pan?" She tilted her head, confused. Who else would visit her besides him? But if it was indeed him, then he shouldn't have to knock, should he?

Approaching the door, she squeezed her eyes shut, touching the cold wood of the door panel. Slowly, she pushed it to the side, opening the door a crack. Opening one eye, she tried peeking around the side, sliding the door further. To her surprise, the door suddenly slid all the way to the left, opening fully. A figure clad in red greeted her, standing in stone silence at the doorway.

Blinking in the light, she squinted, trying to make out the identity of the unexpected guest. His appearance was that of a stranger, but she had a feeling that despite all that, she really did know him. Realization struck not a minute later, and she hesitantly ventured a low: "Hong...Kong?"

Instead of responding, the figure swaggered forward, wobbling unsteadily. Without any warning at all, he immediately toppled, falling on-top of her.

"Ah-Agghhh!" She yelped, backing away. She shifted his loose form until he was resting against her shoulder, arms hanging limply at her sides.

Grunting, she swayed to and fro, carrying him towards the back of the house. Dropping him almost unceremoniously onto the tatami bed, she crumpled along the sides, panting heavily. After she had caught her breath, she raised her head slightly, peering up over the side of the Japanese-style bed.

He was definitely Hong Kong, all right. His hair was a dark brown, long and swept over, with huge snarls from poor care. His duangua was wrinkled and dirty, faintly smelling of thyme. The sash around his waist was torn, his pants full of rips and tears. The bandages wrapped around his lower legs were also scratched, some areas stained with a light brown--which, upon further inspection, were most likely dried blood.