59 || The Third Task

Começar do início

Katie sucked in a sharp breath and her eyes blurred over with tears. Although her vision was foggy, Katie could vaugely make out the shape of her brother edging towards her.

"Katerina, I—" he sounded extraordinarily penitent, but Katie stumbled back away from him, shaking her head violently.

"No," she whimpered, her voice cracking. "No, you said it. You can't take in back."

"Kat, please—"

"No!" Katie bounded backwards and the back of her knees collided with the armchair, causing her balance to sway. She clung onto the chair just in time to stabilise herself before she could topple over.

"You know I didn't do it!" she shouted, her voice rattling. Chris was still making an effort to reach out for her, but she kept backing away.

"I know, I know," Chris said frantically. "I'm sorry, I—"

"I have class." Katie said firmly, and before Chris could say anything more, she turned on her heel and left the common room.

Katie headed to Defense Against the Dark Arts, and was in a considerably mad mood when she sat down next to Hermione, which did not go unnoticed by any of her friends.

Hesitantly, Ron leaned forward, cleared his throat, and spoke, "Uhm, Katie...?"

Katie let out a disgruntled hum of response as she slammed her book down on the desk, making Hermione wince.

"Are... are you OK?" Ron asked, his voice quavering slightly.

"Fine," Katie said. "I'm fine."

Harry, Ron and Hermione all glanced between each other, not one of them believing that Katie was fine, but the class had begun, and she clearly didn't want to talk about what was bothering her, so they let it go.

After the class ended, however, Katie made quick work of shoving her materials into her bag, slinging her bag over her shoulder, and rushing from the room, not wanting to explain what had happened to any of her friends. Much to Katie's annoyance, she had barely made if five steps down the corridor when a hand clasped around her wrist. She whirled around to see Harry, slightly pale with worry, standing behind her. Harry didn't say anything, but Katie already knew what he was going to ask.

"I just had a fight with Chris, OK?" Katie sighed out and Harry frowned.

"He heard about the dream, then?" Harry asked in a low voice, and Katie nodded sadly in response. "And... did you tell him what happened?"

Although Harry didn't specifically state that he was talking about what had happened to Chris and Katie's dad, it was pretty easy for Katie to catch on to what Harry was referring too, and she nodded again.

"I had to," she shrugged. "There was no hiding it. He didn't take it very well... understandably."

"Are you—" Harry began, only yo be promptly cut off by Katie.

"I'm OK," she assured him. "Really, I'll be fine. I just need some time to cool off."

At that moment, Chris passed them in the corridor. His eyes narrowed on Katie, making her heart sink. He didn't utter a single word to his sister and just kept on storming ahead.

"Come on," Harry placed a hand on Katie's back and started steering her away. "We've got Care of Magical Creatures."

***

The weeks leading up to the Third Task went by rather quickly, and very uneventfully too. While they should have been studying for their end of the year exams, Katie, Ron and Hermione spent most of their free time helping Harry learn any spells that might be useful to him in the Third Task, which Bagman had told him would consist of Harry and the other champions trying to find the Triwizard Cup in the centre of an enchanted maze.