𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 13.

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" I asked her, my eyebrows softly narrowed.

"I was going to give this to Lana Grubbs— a friend of mine," she told me, while looking down at the box with frantic eyes, "Her husband just passed, that man we heard about on the radio, but I don't have time to drop it off. Bug, could you take the bike down, for me?"

"Yeah, sure," I smiled.

She looked up at me, "It's not far, thank you, hon."

"Yeah, no problem," my lips pulled up into a small grin, "It'll get me out of the house."

"Thank you, dear," Caroline placed the pink gift on the table and engulfed me into a quick hug. "Her house is just off PineCrest road, turn left at the end of this street," she let go of me and pointed her finger down the street. "You'll know it when you see it, it's a pink house." she said.

I nodded firmly, understanding. Caroline then smiled once more at me, before placing the box in my hands and leaving out the door. I watched her hop into the truck beside her husband, and stayed put in the kitchen until they were gone down the road, like I always do.

___

Surprisingly, I had made it to Lana Grubbs' house perfectly fine.

Her house wasn't hard to notice behind the trees, its vibrant pink colour practically standing out and catching my eye immediately. I was wary to get back on the bike, though. Last time I did, I was few seconds close to getting run over by a green Jeep, and ended up falling off my bicycle in front of a dozen rich people, resulting in embarrassment and a large purple bruise on my hip.

I drove my bike onto the back of the lawn, before hopping off and walking it to the side of the house. It leant against the colourful pink wall which had swirls of different designs and colours, some paint chipping and landing on the bike seat. A weird feeling settled in my stomach as I picked the small gift box out of the basket, and held it at my side, swiftly making my way to the front door.

I knocked loudly, and waited.

    A few moments passed, before a short woman appeared behind the tattered screen door, her eyebrows narrowed curiously. Her eyes were puffy, like she'd been crying a lot recently, as she stood behind the screen, looking oblivious.

"Hi ma'am, I'm Caroline Collins' granddaughter," I started, feeling awkward. "She sent me to give this to you," I held up the pink gift, my voice staying soft.

"Caroline," She let a refreshed smile rise to her lips, not a big one, as she thought of my grandma. "Yes, come in," she pulled open the screen door and stepped to the side, motioning for me to enter.

I smiled lightly in return, and handed her the box as I passed. I looked around the hippy-styled home.

"I'm sorry, for your loss," I said kindly, remembering how her husband had recently passed away. I felt awkward talking to the woman.

"Thank you," she nodded with a sincere look, while unwrapping the ribbon on the gift.

I stood like an idiot in her entryway, feeling out of place. "Um, may I use your bathroom?" I asked with a sweet tone, figuring it was a good way to get out of the situation.

"Of course, right there around the corner," she nodded again, pointing behind me to an open room.

I gave the woman a tight-lipped smile, before folding my hands together at my stomach and turning away. It was quiet as I made my way to the washroom, entering the very small space. I didn't need to go, it was just a way for me to catch my breath and think of conversation starters for when I'd join back out.