𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞. brothers

Start from the beginning

Emilia was getting accustomed to the ways of the Las Encinas kids, as much as she wouldn't admit it. Samuel, on the other hand, stayed completely pure.

"Guzmán kind of dropped his grudge," Samuel informed Emilia with a shrug in his shoulders. "First, I thought that he was just saving that graffiti thing for a bigger blow, but it's been three weeks, and he hasn't said anything yet. I don't think he's that patient. He'd have used it already if he wanted to."

"What graffiti thing?" Emilia was confused.

"You don't know? I thought you were at Marina's party."

Just the mention of Marina's name from Samuel's mouth sent Emilia's insides on fire, but she was able to contain herself this time. "I left early. What happened?"

"Nano sprayed their wall, remember? And I was with him. Guzmán wanted to snitch on us, and Nano's out on parole, so it'd all go to shit, but he hasn't."

"Oh, right, that grafifti thing," Emilia remembered. "I'm sorry, I forgot. Maybe it doesn't matter to Guzmán that much. It's pocket money for them to get it cleaned."

Samuel shook his head. "It's Guzmán we're talking about. Calm and forgiving isn't in his dictionary, and he was extremely pissed. Him and Nano almost got into a fight, but then we went to school, he didn't tell anyone. And he's left me alone since like two weeks ago."

"What did he do to you two weeks ago?"

"Just the usual shit. Provoking me with stupidities and pushing me around," Samuel wasn't about to tell Emilia that the conversation concerned her. How ridiculous? He didn't like Emilia – he'd never even dare think about that, because he knew that was a battle lost before it even started. Emilia wouldn't ever like a guy like Samuel. Maybe she wasn't the typical rich kid, but she still wasn't openly opposed to the bourgeoisie like Marina. She was definitely one of those who'd keep inside their class when dating.

"He's such an asshole," Emilia rolled her eyes, built up her courage, and wrapped her arm around Samuel's shoulder. He wasn't the tallest, so it wasn't too hard. "I'm sorry you have to go through this shit  at school, it's so stupid."

Samuel was surprised at the sudden display of physical affection, something very unlike Emilia, but he didn't mind. "You really aren't like them," he just observed, smiling lightly. "You're even going to my house, probably to play video games."

"I'm horrible at video games," Emilia confessed. That proposal definitely wouldn't allow her to impress Samuel. She was miserably bad at everything, even Mario Kart.

"I'll teach you. I was pretty sure this isn't something in the rich girl arsenal."

"Stop with that. It has nothing to do with me being rich," Emilia scoffed annoyedly, because everyone's fixation on wealth division was making her increasingly exhausted. "Can we just not focus on money? I don't call you poor boy, either. I'm Emilia and you're Samuel and I like you for you, not for your social status."

Her outburst surprised the boy. "Sure. I'm sorry. Also, I didn't think you like me because of my social status. I thought you liked me despite of it." Or, to be honest, he wasn't really sure if she liked him at all, or why.

Emilia chuckled. Samuel was naive. "Oh, come on. This school is full of rich girls who like poor boys because they're poor. You're the forbidden fruit for the bored and posh." 

She wasn't thinking of Carla, despite her friend being the prime example for it. She was thinking of Marina. She didn't know the girl, but she knew her way of thinking. Marina thought she wanted to break away from their world, but she had no idea how being poor was.