𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞. brothers

──────────────────

"Since you said that you are close with Samuel – do you know his brother?"

Oh. Perhaps a step in the right direction. Or not, depending on what Nano had told the inspector. Maybe the whole thing was a trap, and they saved her for last to convict her.

"I knew him from seeing him from time to time. But we never talked more than conversationally," Emilia forced herself to calm down. After all, if Nano had told them everything, what would be the point of all of these questions? No, Emilia had to remind herself that Nano cooperating with the police was a largely improbable possibility.

In the end, Nano's resistance to authority seemed to turn out to be one of his good character traits. He definitely didn't have many.

"What do you know about him?"

"Just the same stuff that everybody else knows. He went to jail. He sprayed on the Nunier's house. He works as a cook, now."

Emilia realized that nobody had so openly told the inspector about the vandalism. The woman immediately scribbled something in her notebook and the girl felt an unreasonable wave of guilt across her body.

"Anything else you can tell me about Nano?"

"Not really. I mean, he seems bad, but most of it is just talk," Emilia mumbled. The inspector asked her to repeat the second part of the sentence, and she did, which caused her to regret it immediately.

Nano should definitely be grateful to her for that remark. However, Emilia knew that gratitude wasn't one of the few remaining good character traits of the troublemaker's. 

──────────────────

BROTHERS

They left the school ten minutes after everyone else. Emilia stayed unnaturally long by her locker and the bathroom. A prophetic wariness prevented her from being seen leaving with Samuel. 

He was waiting for her in front of the school. "Ashamed of being seen with me?" he asked half-jokingly, when she finally stepped on the stairs.

"Not ashamed, just careful," Emilia decided to be honest. "Guzmán has a problem with you, and I don't want to fuel it. For some reason, he cares about me talking to you." 

Emilia wisely left out the fact that she was scared of being seen by Marina. Samuel seemed oblivious of the potential conflict, but Emilia knew how girls worked. Besides, if Marina found out, samuel would, right away, with his honest gaze, assure her that Emilia and him were just friends. Emilia wouldn't be able to withstand that. But if Samuel didn't say it, once them hanging out would come to light, there'd be a spark of ambiguous uncertainty. Maybe it would be enough to get Marina mad and supicious, and off Samuel's back.