my phone vibrates from my back pocket, making me groan as i sit up to reach it.

imessage from nate j
why'd you run off bri
10:34 pm

imessage from nate j
we need to talk, where are you?
10:34 pm

i roll my eyes at the thought of nate right now. what he pulled tonight disgusts me.
the way he sat there and let maddy disrespect me in front of everyone including his own goddamn family.

i toss my phone beside me, not even bothering to respond to his ass right now.

"you good?" hardin asks, noticing my irritated expression.

"i'm fine."

he scoffs, his eyes shifting from the tv back to me. "does it have something to do with why you asked me to come get you tonight?"

i look to him, hating how fast he's putting it together.

"i just wanted to see you." i state, not wanting to talk about nate at all.

"that's new." he chuckles, making me smile.

it goes silent, me trying my best to focus on the movie we're watching but not being able to get my sad feeling to go away.

i would do anything to get high right now. to get my brain to stop overthinking.

but i shouldn't. especially when i just got called out about it in front of dozens of people.

hardin's hand falls on my thigh, squeezing it slightly to gain my attention.

"you know you can talk to me about anything. i'm here for you bri." he speaks softly, starring into my eyes.

i gulp as i look away, starring down to my fingers. i take one of my hands to grab his off of my thigh, now holding them together.

he flips our hands around, lacing them.

i sigh, running my free hand through my hair, feeling at ease by his touch.

hardin mells is my safe place. as much as we fight or argue, he's my comfort zone. i've never met anyone like him and i mean it when i say no one could replace him.

and that's whether we're together or not.

i look back to him, looking into his eyes. i realize that i don't need drugs to clear my head, i need hardin.

i take a deep breath, shifting my body slightly away from him, also letting go of his hand.

i know how hard hardin effects me. yeah i'll admit it in my head, but i can't let him know that my emotions are dependent on him.

he looks to me as i try keeping my sight on the tv, ignoring his stare.

"woahh, what the fuck just happened?"

i bite the inside of my cheek, glaring at him. "what?"

"you just got extremely distant on me. what's going on in that pretty head of yours?" he asks.