"Because I've known you five years and you've never expressed interest in any girl at all!"

"Well I told you Elouise isn't any girl. She's Elouise." He reminds, smirking at her shocked face.

"I know, he's surprising me too," I remark, smiling at her sincerely. She smiles back, sneaking a look at Niall's smug little grin.

"Engaged," she mutters under her breath as she measures some flour into a glass cup. His hand wraps around my fingers tightly, holding my hand firmly in his lap. 

***

We leave together, hand in hand. I feel a little bit more confident in my new black and white Ted Baker dress. I'd bought it with Katherine over the weekend. It's a little edgier than my normal pieces, with more of a retro-sixties cut than the usual tea-dresses I wear. Niall had told me I looked "quite beautiful" on the way down and that was all I needed to hear to feel good about this dress. 

We make our way across the lobby and into the blustery air. Fall is much less present now, and it feels more like winter. Niall's driver is waiting for us, holding the door open with a wide grin. "Morning Mr. Horan!" He greets cheerfully, opening the door wider for us to get in. I climb into the backseat first, feeling Niall's hand on the small of my back as I enter the car.

He chats with the driver as we make our way through the thick traffic and towards Horan Enterprises. I'm always suprised at how many people actually live in this city, and I'm reminded of this while I watch all the morning workers rush down the sidewalk, chatting and yelling and laughing and complaining. 

We stop at our building and Niall gets out first, pulling me along into the marble building with a small smile on his lips. The security guard smirks at our intertwined hands, making me blush uncontrollably. "Morning Stanley," I mumble as we enter the lobby, hands still locked together. 

"Are you going to tell Calinda?" Niall asks on the lift as he reads through some emails I'd forwarded him on the drive over. 

"Well, yes. It seems the best thing to do considering she's kinda my best friend around here." I laugh absentmindedly, typing out another denial to the New York Times request for an interview. 

"Do you want me to be there?" He asks, making me look away from my phone. He's staring straight at me, his expression earnest. 

"Do you want to be there?" I ask, chewing on my bottom lip. 

"Well, sorta... kinda... yes. I just want to see her reaction." He says as I giggle.

"Sure, sure. You don't have to tell me that you like this whole arrangement after all." I tease as the door dings and slides open. 

"Oh, please. I'm just enjoying it for your benefit." He teases with a wink, his long fingers weaving their way through mine.

"Whatever you say, Mr. Horan. Just don't go all mushy on me, ok?" We round the corner and I spot Calinda's brown hair straight away. "Better get it over with now," I mutter quietly to him as I pull him towards her desk. 

"Oh my gosh you're back!" She squeals happily, leaning over the wooden desk to give me a hug. "Hello, Mr. Horan. Your papers are on--" her voice falters as she catches sight of our interlocked hands and my heart does a little thump. Telling Calinda makes it more real than anything. Telling Calinda makes it official, and the news will be circulating around the office by lunchtime. "You two are official?" She asks, a slow grin seeping onto her features. 

"Well..." Niall begins, grabbing my waist and tugging me towards him. "We are engaged now, so." I hold up my hand as proof, laughing at Calinda's shell-shocked expression.