only tonight . bokuto koutarou

Start from the beginning

this continued on, innocent skinship shared between the both of you and mindless laughter dispersing into the air. you both talked nonsense, most of your words incoherent and 100% idiotic nonsense. he didn’t understand most of it but he didn’t want to bring your mood down, agreeing to everything you yelled at him and responding to humour you. it kept you happy and kept you clinging onto him and it was all he really wanted at the moment.

it was only when you claimed you got tired of dancing and felt too hot that you let him take you back to your high table where kenma and akaashi were still seated. he lead you away from the mob of dancing bodies, guiding you by your waist and taking a hold of one of your hands with his other to help you keep your balance. even though you claimed you didn’t want to dance anymore, you were still moving along as you walked, swaying along to the music which made bokuto laugh. 

“what’s so funny!?” you called out, titling your head back and onto bokuto’s shoulder. 

“nothing,” he reassured you sweetly, laughing lightly as he took a left off of the dance floor. he lead you to the table and made eye contact with akaashi and kenma who both had amused looks on their faces as they saw the both of you approaching them. 

it was a different sight to take in as usually it was bokuto who would be taken care of. it wasn't often he himself would be the one doing the babysitting as he liked to let loose and party; however, the two seated at the table knew that bokuto wanted to do something for you and taking care of you while you had the time of your life was something he could manage. that, and he wanted to have you cling onto him and act all cute.

“tired of dancing, y/n?” kenma called out teasingly, a laugh bubbling from your throat as bokuto had sat you down beside him. he adjusted for you, making sure you were comfortable despite being drunk and probably not concerned whether or not you were seated properly.

“never!” you exclaimed, giving him a bright grin. 

“alright, alright,” akaashi chuckled, sliding you a glass of water, “you aren’t on the dance floor anymore, we can hear you just fine.” 

“is that tequila!?” you continued to shout anyway, pointing at the glass that was pushed to you that held a massive amount of liquid from your standpoint, “i might fucking die if i drink that keiji! what are you an alcoholic!?”

the trio of males laughed at you, amused with your unawareness. they were quick to conclude that if you hadn’t been with one of them, you probably would be lost in the crowd and maybe even blacked out by the end of the night. thankfully, to the rest of the group, bokuto decided that he wasn't going to drink tonight just to take care of you. you were in good hands, arms really, and would definitely not reach the point of blacking out.

“no, y/n, it’s water,” bokuto reassured you as he pushed some of your hair back to help cool you down. you turned your face him in your seat, legs swinging on either side of him in a way that made you look like a little kid. “it’ll help you feel much better.” 

you hummed childishly and leaned into his touch, bringing your face closer to his. “hmmm~ i don’t wanna~” 

he smiled at you, the fuzzy feeling inside of him becoming stronger each time you let yourself get so close. that in itself was intoxicating enough, bokuto thought.

“come on, just a sip,” he urged, pinching your cheek gently before grabbing the glass and bringing it up to your lips. this made you giggle and your hands gently wrapped around his single wrist, bringing the rim against your lips. you didn’t drink it though, just smiling at bokuto with a sparkle in your eyes. “y/n,” he coaxed, tilting the glass so that the cool liquid would touch your lips. you kept your mouth closed and bokuto playfully rolled his eyes, pulling the glass away from you. “what do you want so that you’ll drink it?” 

you hummed, similar to the way before, and giggled. “i’ll only drink it if you tell me a funny joke!” you beamed, wrapping your arms above his shoulders, “it needs to be super funny~!” 

“hhhhmmmmmmmm."

bokuto pretended to think for a moment which got you excited. even kenma and akaashi were able to tell that it was fake thinking but they enjoyed the eagerness of your expression and just how cute you were waiting patiently for some cheesy joke.

"what do you get when you mix kuroo and a crocodile?" bokuto asked, already getting a giggle out of you.

"what!" you exclaimed, tugging bokuto closer.

his hands rested on your waist and he grinned. "a kuroo-codile!"

you burst into laughter and threw your head back, kenma's hand immediately following to hold it steady. it was almost whiplash and the three of them didn't need you to get motion sickness. your head was pushed forward and that brought you to embrace bokuto so you could rest your chin against his shoulder.

"you're so funny~" you sighed out dreamily, giggles still escaping here and there, "why aren't you my boyfriend, kou? you'd make me super happy everyday you know!"

he hummed in response, rubbing your back soothingly. "because."

"because...?"

"because i can't give you all my time, baby," he whispered into your ear to save himself from embarrassment, "i'm busy and tonight is the only night i'm free before i gotta go travel for my tournament."

you hummed along, a smile still on your face as he spoke. you heard him but you didn't understand, forming his words differently in your head. something along the lines of the both of you traveling together was pieced in your mind and you nodded, giving him a squeeze to physically say you liked the sound of that. "let's go to canada! i wanna see just how much snow they have there!"

bokuto chuckled, shaking his head at the random response but deciding to entertain you as he knew you weren't sober. he pulled away, much to your dismay, and gave you a warm smile. "you wanna go to canada?" he asked, speaking to you like you were a child. like before, his hand brushed your hair back from your warm face.

"yeah!" you beamed, a bright smile forming on your lips, "with you of course! you and me kou! we can make snow angels!"

he liked the idea, almost allowing himself to dive into the fantasy but stopping himself before it upset him. he could imagine as much as he wanted but he knew they remained as untouchahle ideas. like he said, which he knew you didn't really understand right now, he was too busy. it was only nights like these that he was able to get so close. only when you let loose did you ever allow yourself touch him. only when you didn't have that harsh reality clouding over your mind were you able to relish in his affection and he, in yours. it was only nights like these, fairytale moments filled with a pleasant buzz and high atmospheres, were you two really able to see each other.

it was sad, but bokuto took what he could.

you wouldn't remember anything anyway so there was no harm on your side.

it was why he didn't get drunk with you. he wanted to hold you with a clear mind and remember how your skin felt against his, how bright your smile was for him, how affectionate you two could have possibly been. he wanted to feel your love for a short moment before he had to part ways with you yet again for a long time.

"you okay, kou?" you asked, voice soft as you looked at him with glossy eyes, "don't be sad! you're making me sad! please don't cry!"

he was quick to put a smile on his face and he shook his head, shushing you sweetly to prevent any tears to roll down your cheeks. "i'm okay baby," he reassured you, his smile bringing out yours, "what do ya say we dance some more? are you feeling all rested?"

your face lit up and you threw yourself into his embrace. "let's dance the night away!" you exclaimed, bokuto once again bringing you to the dance floor, "let's dance until tomorrow night, kou! ain't that a great idea?!"

he nodded along, trying his hardest to fight the stinging in his eyes and the sharpness in his chest.

if only, he thought, if only he could be with you until tomorrow's sunset.