the perfect song . ushijima wakatoshi

WORD COUNT/ 975
NOTES/ inspired by

arrinxx ushijima and s/o having a shared playlist where they'll add in songs they think the other would like to listen to it together❞

ushijima wasn't much of a music fanatic but he liked most of the music that you listened to. he enjoyed your taste and the way you were able to find music for every mood possible. you constantly shared your playlists with him which he found himself listening to whenever he could. for example, when he was working out, cooking for himself, taking a walk outside or lightly practicing for volleyball.

recently you created a playlist for the both of you where either one of you can add songs for one another. you contributed it often, including songs that you felt described your feelings towards him or songs you felt he might enjoy because of the way it sounded or because of the lyrics. while your engagement with the shared playlist was through the roof, he had yet to find a song for you. with the free time he had at the moment, though, he decided to find a song for you.

with the help of tendou who was more than happy to share his taste in music as well.

"what kind of song do you want for y/n anyway?" tendou asked, scrolling through his endless spotify playlists that ranged from being titled to 'work out jams' to 'hehe uwu' to 'fuck i'm so sad', "you want a love song? a deep sad love song? my trap music?"

ushijima's nose scrunched slightly and he shook his head. "no, i would not like to share a trap song with y/n," he answered briefly, pursing his lips as he let his mind wander.

when you shared songs with him, you were excited to do so. he wanted to find a song that really brought you to his mind - something that screamed 'this is what i think about y/n!' or maybe even 'when i hear this song, this is what i feel about y/n'. ushijima wondered if there was going to be a song like that that would exist, a part of him thinking it was impossible, but remembered that you did it so effortlessly.

he was certain with enough effort and research, he was going to be able to find the perfect song.

hours seemed to pass by quick with the small activity. tendou shared songs here and there, helping ushijima narrow down a couple genres and tones he liked and also sharing songs that ushijima just liked in general. the two explored what felt like almost all of spotify, soundcloud, 8tracks and even youtube. for a moment - maybe not a moment and actually more than an hour - they did end up watching a couple volleyball videos as ushijima's "recommended for you" list was too tempting to resist.

"hey, what about this one?" tendou asked, sliding his phone to ushijima who took it and examined the screen which was ready to play a youtube video. it was a song by (artist), a name he was familiar with but he didn't know why.

he tapped the play symbol and let the music fill the dorm they shared. like with most of the other songs that caught their attention, ushijima and tendou sat in silence. though unlike ushijma, tendou wasn't really thinking all that deeply about the song and its lyrics. he was just vibing. ushijima though was taking in the instrumental and the lyrics he could pick up on and interpret.

other songs he listened to were nice but when it came to this song in particular, he found himself smiling and tilting his head slightly from side to side. his feet swayed with the beat and he chuckled, already reminded of your presence. he was quick to see you through the song, his heart swelling at the thought of you and just how happy you'd be that he found a song that relayed what he felt about you. he concluded he could listen to this song over and over again just because it reminded him of you.

"you like it?" tendou asked, chuckling as he reached for his phone to cancel the autoplay before it could move to another video, "you're all smiley wakatoshi."

ushijima hummed and nodded, his eyes shifting from tendou and to his own desk where he had a couple of his personal belongings out for display. his eyes landed on a polaroid photo of the both of you and he nodded once again. "i'm going to send it y/n," he said simply, now reaching for his own phone, "i'm going to add it to our playlist, then i'm going to send a message about it and explain why i chose it."

almighty farmer
hello y/n

y/n 🍑
hahaha sorry babe, i haven't
changed your name back
from almighty farmer

y/n 🍑
what's up hun?

almighty farmer
i have a song for you :)

y/n 🍑
toshi omg 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

almighty farmer
don't be sad it's a nice song

y/n 🍑
wait babe no it's like

y/n 🍑
nevermind haha im not sad

y/n 🍑
what's the song !!

almighty farmer
(song) by (artist)

almighty farmer
tendou and i spent the day
searching for the perfect
song and i will admit this may
not be the perfect perfect song
but it reminds me of you a lot

almighty farmer
i love you a lot

y/n 🍑
my heart's gonna combust

y/n 🍑
let me take you out on a date
tonight

y/n 🍑
i rly might cry toshi

almighty farmer
do you like the song? or not?

y/n 🍑
i do baby !! i love it !!! and i LOVE
you !!!

y/n 🍑
thank you for putting so much
effort wakatoshi, this makes me
so happy to know this song
reminds me of you

almighty farmer
i love you :)

y/n 🍑
and i love you !!!!!!!!!!