love letter . ushijima wakatoshi

WORD COUNT/ 769
NOTES/ only mention of the reader;; ushijima and tendou talk about a love letter

ushijima got a lot of confessions. students from all years, both guys and girls, would bring him chocolates, flowers, even write him letters. unfortunately, these kind gestures were not something the student athlete really cared for. he'd bluntly reject confessions left and right, breaking the hearts of his admirers and continuing on with the rest of his day as if he didn't do so. there were other things he had to prioritize than some stranger's self proclaimed love for him.

so of course when tendou saw a letter in ushijima's locker, he reached for it to do his friend a favour. "i'll throw this for ya," tendou said brightly, holding the letter between his right index and middle fingers, "don't you worry wakatoㅡ"

"actually, i'd like to read that one."

tendou's eyes almost popped out of his sockets at ushijima's respectful protest. it caught him off guard to hear words he never could have imagined coming from his best friend's mouth. ushijima never bothered with confessions, love letters at the least, so why did this one intrigue him?

"uhhhh," tendou stammered, glancing at the envelope in his possession then at his captain, "uhhh??????"

"may i please have the letter back?"

ushijima's request brought tendou out of his small trance and eventually the small envelope was placed onto the former's opened palm. his expression seemed to brighten just the slightest bit at receiving the letter which didn't go unnoticed by tendou. it was confusing, giving off a feeling as if the world was ending, but almost endearing?

"so what's up?" tendou asked, the two finally heading to class as ushijima finished up at his locker, "it isn't like you to actually want to read letters dude. you told me you didn't like the letters the most."

ushijima only hummed and nodded along to tendou's, none of it far from the truth. he didn't particularly like all the useless, he deemed, confessions and he never actually cared for the letters given to him either in secret or directly. nothing under the umbrella of confessions particularly caught his attention. however, this was the only exception.

his name was written in purple ink, the writing clear and immensely familiar. this was a love letter from someone he knew well and their confession was something he wasn't going to dismiss.

"you have a crush on someone or something?" tendou continued, his eyes curiously watching ushijima's expression to catch any hint of a blush. instead, he just got a straightforward answer, a yes and a nod. "can i ask who?"

ushijima seemed to ponder for a moment about the request and ultimately decided there was no reason not to tell his friend. he nodded and stopped walking so their attention wouldn't become divded from walking and talking. ushijima held up the envelope to tendou and pointed at his own name.

"this is f/n's writing," he said simply as if it was the most obvious thing in the world to anyone who would have seen the envelope address to 'ushijima wakatoshi ♡'.

tendou's eye twitched in slight irritation. how the hell would he know if it was your writing or not? or better yet, how the hell does ushijima know it's your writing?

"and you're certain becauseee...?"

"because f/n and i study together and share notes often," ushijima explained, "the pen used is also a gift from me."

tendou squinted. "am i missing something here?" he questioned suspicously, "are you two already dating or something wakatoshi?"

ushijima shook his head. "no. but you wondered why this letter is important to me and who i like." ushijima tore his gaze away from tendou and turned the envelope to face him, his thoughts slightly wandering about in his head. he wondered what you confessed in this letter, why you chose to do so in a letter, and why today. he also wondered how he was going to return these feelings and what kind of date he'd take you out on this weekend. there was a lot to think of but so little time since class was about to start.

tendou was left speechless in front of ushijima, a small blush on his face at the straightforward and open answer. sure he suspected it but never imagined anything to come of it. he felt proud for his friend. "well then," tendou beamed, the two beginning to head to class once again, "you've got some reading to do, hey?"

ushijima hummed, nodding once again. "yeah. would it be okay to ask you for some ideas later on? about where i should go for a date?"

tendou giggled. "sure~ sure~"