Chapter 52 Recovering

Start from the beginning

All because of one lunatic's decision.

She's made her peace with the chair, but there's still times when she misses soaring accross the rooftops so much it hurts.

And now the very same lunatic that put her in the wheelchair is unlikely to ever walk again.

She read the records once surgery was done. Marinette Dupain-Cheng angled the piece of glass in a way that destroyed a lot of things at the base of his spine.

She isn't sure how to feel about it.

Sure, she can feel something. Karma finally took its right. But if it's the cost of a teenagers conscience, is it really worth it?

With a deep sigh she finished her sandwich before grabbing her phone to call Bruce. "Hey Bruce. Can I come by the hospital?"

******************************************************************

Bruce is the only one with the teens for the day. Jason couldn't take it and had to go. He can understand why. The situation hits too close to home. Bruce can't deny his own unease either.

Damian's concussion is getting better but he isn't allowed to use his phone so at the moment he's meditating to pass time.

Marinette is still sleeping but wakes up in short moments.

Bruce himself is working on W.E papers by the table. He happily let Barbara in when she knocked.

The woman looked as tired as he felt. "Hey, how are you feeling?"

She shrugged. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

Damian didn't react as they went over to the table, Babs looking at Marinette for a moment.

"I had to call her parents."

"And how did that go?"

"I fear for the day Mrs Cheng teams up with Alfred and Ma Kent. She's scary." Bruce admitted. "They weren't happy. I offered to fly them here. They had to decline, apparently they have a big workload for people they can't cancel on. So I promised the best care for their daughter."

"That's good. How is she doing?" Babs accepted the glass of water he gave her.

Bruce sighed. "As good as she can be. However, according to the doctors she's healing remarkably fast. I'm trying to see how fast we can move her to the manor."

"Does she know?"

Barbara wouldn't be very surprised if the teen figured out their nightlife. From what she'd seen Marinette Dupain-Cheng is much smarter than she lets on. Especially considering her leader position as a hero in Paris.

"Yes. She does."

A weak sound came from the sleeping teen as she woke up.

The sound got Damian's attention immediately and Babs had to suppress a smile as he went over to her bed and talked quietly with Marinette.

Bruce just smiled softly and turned back to Babs. "How's it going for Jim? I know he'll need Marinette to tell him what happened."

At the mention of her father Barbara sighed. "Joker went through a lot of trouble with this. They're still processing things."

Bruce nodded in understanding. "Tell him to call if he needs help with anything."

"I will."

********************************************************************

As someone that's been through a lot of shit, Tim knows it isn't easy. Being a teen hero with barely any adult support and having a lot of bad guys focusing on you isn't good.