Strange Dreams

Varian thought he had woken up, but he realized he was still dreaming when he found himself in a place very different from the black rock tower.

He was in a large cavern. The walls glittered with precious stones, reflecting the light from the glowing orb in the center of the room. The orb was a blinding white, with flecks of pale purple swirling around it. It seemed to be made of pure light and energy, and Varian's sense of curiosity tingeled. He moved closer, though he was careful not to get too close. He could sense that the orb could have some seriously bad effects on him if he touched it, even if this was a dream.

Now that he had moved closer though, he could see something floating in the middle of the orb. It looked a bit like a shard or something. It was shiny and white, not made out of any material he had ever seen before.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned and suddenly Varian was back in the black rock tower, Cassandra shaking him awake.

"Wake up, sleepyhead." she said.

He rubbed sleep out of his eyes. "What is it?" he asked, sitting up.

"Training!" Cassandra said. "What else? If you want to master the moonstone's powers, it'll require some work."

Varian yawned, pulling himself to his feet. "Why so early, though? How much sleep do you get?"

"Not much." she said cheerfully. "Now, let's go!"

They found a secluded clearing to practice in, surrounded by tall, thin pine trees. Zia showed up again, instructing them in the use of their powers.

Varian didn't know what to think about Zia Ri, because something seemed a little off about her. But he trusted Cass' judgement, and if she was going to trust Zia for now, so would he.