King's Cross station

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Serena!" The Ravenclaw greeted loudly when he spotted her, lurking out of the trunk, into which he had almost completely crawled. Apparently it was a new tactic to accommodate the suitcase.

"Nathan, help the poor girl!" Mr. Nowak yelled, coming down the stairs to the driveway before starting the engine of the car, in which his petite wife already had taken a seat in the front. "Good morning, Serena!"

It took them a while to stow Nate's and Serena's suitcases plus pets in the car without using magic. The ride to King's Sross station, however, was quicker than Serena could have complained about the squeezed seat in the back seat. They had been too busy talking about her best friend's vacation with his family in Poland, that a different topic had have no room anyway. The Gryffindor was relieved that there was not said a thing about her father.

The two friends had already said goodbye to the Novaks at the parking lot and were now pushing their way through the crowds comprising of both magical folk and Muggles. Some of them getting to work while others were preparing to send their children off for the upcoming term.

Serena couldn't help but to glance around nervously, as the unpleasant feeling of being observed at each of her steps sent a shiver over her pale skin.

"Serena?"

The girl knew what was to come. Nate knew her better than anyone, and he was the only one Serena had ever spoken to about her father. When she was younger and when it became too much for her, she had wondered why her father didn't want her. But even if those days were long gone, the Ravenclaw would certainly not forget it. "How are you doing with... you know?" he asked her cautiously, "I mean it must have been a shock to you. It was for all of us. After all, not many people knew."

"I don't even know him," Serena replied after a brief period of silence, staring to the ground, as they made their way to the barrier that would bring them to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, "It just feels so unreal. Suddenly, I'm supposed to have a father...I don't know how to deal with that."

"I don't think anyone knows," Nate muttered, smiling encouraging at her. Luckily, he dropped the subject for that moment, proving once again how well he knew her. He only broke the silence when they arrived at the barrier between track nine and ten, "Ladies First."

When Serena arrived at the track nine-quarters, her cheeks were slightly reddened, as she had run through the wall. With shining eyes, she looked at the platform. The Hogwarts Express was already standing by and emitted steam out of its chimney. Nate, who had appeared behind her, casually rolled his suitcase behind her and nodded expectantly in the direction of the scarlet red locomotive. "Should we look for a compartment?"

"I promised Hailey that I would wait for her," she said, looking for her best friend in the crowds. However, she only noticed the numerous pairs of eyes that were already lying on her and quickly turned away when she answered the gaze. Frustrated, she repressed a moan contrary to Nate. The Ravenclaw didn't seem to be fond of the idea to spend the train ride with Hailey. "Is that really necessary?"

"What's your problem with Hailey?" Serena asked astonished, as she continued to search for the Hufflepuff at the platform, as she slowly began to push her way through her classmates and their families.

Sighing, he followed her and started to explain his reluctance, "Price just embodies everything I don't stand for."

Serena raised one of her eyebrows in amusement. "And what would that be?"

"She's gullible, naïve and for Merlin's sake too loud."

"Too loud?" she grinned, "I'm also pretty sure that gullible and naïve is the same thing."