King's Cross station

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"Sometimes what you're looking for
comes when you're not looking at all."

On any other day, Serena would have turned around at seven o'clock in the morning at least five more times. But not on the morning of the first of September. She was fully awake by the second her alarm clock went off and excitedly collected her clothes, which she would wear until she changed them for her school uniform.

Her stomach ached a little by the thought of how her classmates or even her friends would react to her. However, Serena quickly banished this thought from her mind, as finally returning to Hogwarts weighed much more than the queasy feeling in her gut.

When the Gryffindor stood at the front door with packed things, she noticed that her mother was probably more excited than she was. Making sure her daughter had forgotten nothing, she held another one of her famous lectures. "Serena, please promise me you'll be taking care of yourself!"

"Of course, Mum." Serena had said these three words in a continuous loop over the last ten minutes now. She hugged her mother one last time, with the hug being firmer than the years before. It almost seemed to her as if her mother was afraid not to see her again. But Serena had already gotten used to this over-anxious behavior, pushing the cause to the fact that she was an only child. Just as she was about to set off, however, she was stopped again.

Her mother had put her hands on her daughter's shoulders, looking at her urgently. "You're a Parker, no matter whose blood flows in your veins or what you're told," she said emphatically, letting Serena fight a thick clump in her throat. The dark-haired girl nodded and forced herself to smile slightly, but in the next moment, the blonde woman had switched back to her worried-mother-status anyway. "Serena, seriously be careful! I'm worried and after what's happened in the last two years, I've got enough reasons!" Katherine Parker explained to her daughter with a serious face.

"Mum, Hogwarts is certainly the safest place in the world, I will not run into any murderer's arms!" Serena laughed before realizing what she had just said. Her mother's facial features froze, but before she could respond or even drag Serena back into the house, the Gryffindor was already out of the door. "Bye!"

Nathan Novak towered over Serena by almost two heads, even though he was a year younger. The tanned boy with hair in the color of honey was trying to squeeze a light blue suitcase into the trunk of a car. Serena had to suppress a laugh when the boy started to debate with his mother why they couldn't travel to the station like normal wizards.

It was indeed quite unusual for a pure-blooded family to live in a muggle neighborhood and also to adapt to their way of life. Serena had learned this faster than the educational material at Hogwarts. With her suitcase in one hand and a cat carrier in the other, she began to make her way over the street to the Novak's driveway.