Nothing but the truth

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"To the devine,
mischievous
spark in you."

No more light shone through the boards on the windows, the room they were standing in was now shrouded in almost complete darkness. Five pairs of eyes were fixed tensely on Serena, who was negotiating a war with herself in her head.

Her head was screaming, "Don't do it!" But her heart told her otherwise. The Gryffindor had felt for some time, after all, that there was something more than just fishy about the whole story. Now she might learn the truth, but at a high price; the lives of her friends.

The tension in the room seemed palpable. Only the desperate squeal of Scabbers could be heard in the silence of those present. Serena let her gaze wander, as if finding an answer in the faces of the others. Hermione had pressed her lips together so tightly that they had lost colour. Next to her stood Harry, alert and curious, returning her gaze. Ron alone shook his head.

Her father's grey eyes looked at her hopefully, but she also saw desire glittering in them. The desire to commit the murder he couldn't then. Could she trust someone like that?

Lupin looked wearily towards her. He appeared far more composed than his friend. But his expression also reflected a silent pleading. Serena remembered the photo. Four friends happy and carefree. The image she had got of them was only reinforced by the memories in the Pensieve. One person, however, always looked out of place.

Serena took a deep breath and had to close her eyes as she placed the wand in her godfather's outstretched hand. "Prove it."

"Thank you, Serena." Relief flashed around his features and when nothing bad happened, Serena dared to open her eyes again. Lupin had now turned away from her again. "So, I will best start at the beginning. My transformations in those days were... were terrible. It is very painful to turn into a werewolf. But apart from my transformations, I was happier than I had ever been in my life. For the first time I had friends, three great friends. Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew and, of course, your father, Harry. James Potter. Of course, my three friends couldn't fail to notice that I disappeared once a month. But like you, Hermione, they soon found out the truth. And they didn't let me down. On the contrary, they did something for me that made my transformations not only bearable, but the best time of my life. They became Animagi."

"My dad too?" asked Harry in amazement, his green eyes shining eagerly to know more.

"Yes, indeed," he replied, "It took them nearly three years to figure out how to do it. Your father and Sirius here were, the brightest students at Hogwarts and that was fortunate, because turning into an Animagus can go horribly wrong. Peter certainly couldn't have done it without the help of James and Sirius."