CHAPTER 17

As he held her petite body against him, Tae Pyung measured the passing of time by listening to Eon Jin's breathing, an uneven rhythm that synchronized with the movement of her chest and the warm gusts of air that grazed the side of his neck. He knew that it took about thirty seconds before she was able to tame the erratic beating of her heart.

"Are they gone?" she asked, her voice low and hushed to an almost whisper.

Tae Pyung subtly glimpsed to his right and saw Hyo Jin give him a slight bow, looking perplexed at the sudden change in Eon Jin's behavior, before quietly leaving with the two souls. It was only when they have completely vanished into thin air that he started to take his hand away from Eon Jin's eyes, only to gently rest it on the side of her neck.

"Yes. You can open your eyes now," he told her in a soothing manner that matched the calming motion of his thumb that tenderly stroked the skin under her jaw, feeling every pulse that passed through that vein on her neck.

Eon Jin obeyed and opened her eyes slowly, her lashes fluttering as she slightly tilted her face up to see his. She was then greeted by Tae Pyung's gaze, a look smoldering with an intensity that would have broken down the walls she built over a long period of time in an instant – if she would only allow it to.

"Are you okay now?" Tae Pyung asked, genuine concern seeping through his voice.

Eon Jin nodded, prompting him to gradually loosen up on his hold on her body although not entirely letting go of it.

"I'll take you home," he said.

"I can drive," Eon Jin protested weakly. "Besides, you still have that one hand in a cast."

"Let's not put the immunity Fate granted to me to a test tonight, shall we?" she added the moment she saw him hesitate, thus making Tae Pyung concede without further argument.

It was another quiet drive back to the city with only the purr of the engine filling in the silence that lurked between them. Throughout their journey, Tae Pyung stole a few a glances at Eon Jin, whose eyes were focused on the road ahead of them as she sped off on the freeway. Fifteen minutes later, they were back at the basement parking of the building where she lived.

"Rest well tonight," Tae Pyung said as he started to unbuckle his seat belt.

Eon Jin hummed in response without looking at him, which he took as a sign that she probably needed some time alone. He then willed himself a few moments later to reach for the door handle, only to be stopped by Eon Jin's hands that unexpectedly clutched at his coat sleeve.

"Would you like to have coffee upstairs before you go?" she asked, to which Tae Pyung replied with a wordless nod.

They sat on the living room of Eon Jin's roof top home a few minutes later, occupying the far ends of the velvet couch while they sipped on their coffee.

"What were you doing in that back alley?" Eon Jin probed as she took a sideway glance at the man seated a few inches away from her.

Tae Pyung sighed before answering, "I figured you weren't yourself before we parted so I followed you just to make sure you were alright. You worked your magic when you turned to the main street – that's where the taxi driver lost you – and then, I had to search for you on my own."

"I see," she mumbled in acknowledgement. "And why did you cover my eyes?"

"I just thought you didn't need to see that," he replied as he ran his thumb on the smooth curve of the cup's handle. "Like how you didn't need to see the foal being buried when you were little."

Eon Jin was reminded of the recent memory Tae Pyung drew up for her, which – to her surprise – actually made her feel a whole lot better after being taken over by those forgotten emotions that began to resurface as of late. She took a deep breath, as if to shake them off, before she spoke again.