But her daughter had already stalked out of the kitchen.

***************************************

Haimavati reviewed the large bedchamber.

Reclining against the cushioned headboard of the bed, Priyamvada was immersed in reading a book in the light of the bedside lamps. The crystal jug of water and the flask containing hot coffee were within her reach.

Haimavati walked to the bed and gently said, "Your Highness, would you need anything else tonight?"

"No, Dai maa," Priyamvada murmured. "You can leave."

When Haimavati did not do so, Priyamvada glanced up at her.

"You have something to say?" she asked kindly, putting down the book.

Haimavati bowed her head apprehensively. "At today's party, I paid close attention to the two young ladies you've shortlisted."

"And you don't favour either of them," Priyamvada concluded wryly.

"I'm afraid not, Your Highness," Haimavati admitted unhappily. "They are lovely women with a good lineage. But they are not worthy."

"Dai maa, I've told you before...I'm not looking for prospective brides for Prithvi," Priyamvada said patiently. "I want him to find love and romance again and enjoy life...just like the other men of his age and class. I don't have any other long-term plans. And these are the only two women who have been able to establish some sort of a bond with Prithvi in the past four years. I believe they will be able to bring happiness to his life if they receive the right guidance...which I will provide."

"But your plan could backfire. Your son is very...strong-headed," Haimavati said carefully. "If anything goes wrong, it's difficult to know how he would react. Also, if one of those women succeeds in winning his heart, and they wish to get married, then..."

"At that point, if I think it will be a good match for him and our family, I will let them go ahead. If not, I will break them up," Priyamvada stated, unconcerned. "I've done it before to save him from that girl in India...and I can do it over and over again if required."

Haimavati heaved a sigh of relief.

Priyamvada smiled at her. "Dai maa, I can't predict what horrors or joys are waiting for my family back in India. But I know for a fact that within months from now, my son's life will be exactly as I have dreamt for him. You don't have to worry about anything. Just wait for the games to begin...."

***************************************

Nandini checked the messages on her cell phone and replied to most of them. Then, after putting the instrument on silent mode, she walked to the table and kept it on the small bit of surface that was available.

The table was largely occupied by mystery novels. She had always loved to read, but now she had become a voracious reader. While purchasing spy thrillers for her grandfather, she had begun buying books for herself too and had also registered at a small library near her office. Her favourite genre was mystery, while the genre that she avoided at all costs was romance.

The engrossing stories – so far removed from the reality of her world - had become her refuge from the tensions in her life.

The pressure to give her consent to get married had increased steadily in the past year and a half, and it had become intolerable in the last seven or eight months. The hours she spent at home had become the most stressful parts of her days. She looked forward to leaving for office in the morning and dreaded her return to the house. If this continued for long, she would end up asking the company to give her accommodation in the office premises itself.