21

“Right everyone. I would like to introduce you all to our newest colleague, Peter Michaels. Sadly, there was a bit of a mix up in communication yesterday, which has now been sorted and I would like to sincerely apologise on behalf of our team. We hope you have a long and prosperous career at Winchester Bank Mr Michaels. Welcome” John Woodward said to his gathered team, with Peter standing by his side. 

“Thank you John. Let us put yesterday in the past and work for tomorrow to achieve great things” Peter said with an assured diplomacy. 

“You will get the lovely window view desk on the far end there. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. We won’t throw you in to the deep end straight away, but would like you to get familiar with some of the things we do and the theoretical background of our side of the business. Mary has printed out some reading material, which should occupy your time for the next few days. Before you know it, you will be a flag bearer of team technologies” John said with growing enthusiasm

Mary walked back to her desk and retrieved 3 huge, blue folders labelled ‘Winchester Bank M&A’. She was forced to lean back, as the heavy, stacked folders nearly reached the top of her head. 

Peter reached out and took them from her hands, causing Mary to exhale in relief. His huge frame and big hands had little trouble supporting the weight.

“OK Peter, have fun” John said as a parting gesture.

Peter carried his books back to his new desk and dropped them down. 

He looked at his empty desk and examined his surroundings. 

“What have we got here?”

Peter played with his Cisco phone, getting familiar with the features and phone book. He then started to adjust his 6 computer screens so they would meet him at eye level.

He tilted back on his large, leather seat and peered out of the window where he was caught out by a magnificent view of the financial district in all its glory. The steel and glass of the skyscrapers littered the horizon as far as the eye could see. A small, well maintained park and a lake accompanied the man-made beauty. 

He opened the first folder titled “Introduction to M&A” and saw 500 pages worth of content. Peter prepared himself for the mental bombardment.