I was clueless about the fact that Alan had been standing behind me until he crossed his hand over my shoulder to hand me a steaming cup of coffee. I flinched with surprise, and immediately he held my upper arm to steady me. The action caused my back and his bare chest to have an electrifying connection.

"A kobo for those thoughts ma'am." He said, with his lips close to my right ear. I could feel the heat of his breath on that part of my skin. Then he traced my gaze to what confiscated my attention. I could feel him smile broadly. "I wouldn't mind having some of those run around and scatter my surroundings someday." He said.

"Me too." I said, with my voice now thick with emotions. I turned and met his eyes. What I saw in his eyes got me scared. There were filled with such vulnerability that exposed his feelings. "Thank you." I said, involuntarily before I could stop myself. Why was I thanking him? I thought.

"...For carrying me up to the bedroom yesterday." Where did that reply come from?

He tilted his lips to the right. And smiled without showing a tooth. "You don't need to thank me for that. You were sleeping so peacefully like a baby." He said, then revealed those excellent white set of teeth of his. If this man auditioned for a toothpaste advert, he would definitely be chosen because he had perfect dentition. "I couldn't help but place a kiss on your forehead." He said.

"Haha. I thought that was an angel."

"Who knows, I could be your guardian angel." He said playfully. Then he sobered up. "You haven't given me a response yet."

"Response to what?" I asked as I turned around to face him fully.

He placed both of his hands on the counter my hip rested on, which placed me in an enclosure between him and the counter. He was only a hair's breadth away from me now. I looked up into his eyes, which gazed directly into mine, then I gulped the little amount of saliva in my mouth. "I told you there was no need for worries, that we would be going as just platonic friends, didn't I?" Yeah, he did, but his closure to me now didn't feel so platonic. If this was seduction 101, then he was definitely a pro in this field.

"Hem! hem! hem!" I quickly faked a cough in order to save myself from doing anything silly, like touching his enticing bare chest that was gawking at me now. Goodness! What manner of hotness. "Please get me a glass of water. Hem! hem! hem!" I said, still holding on to this little drama I was pulling off. He quickly handed me a chilled glass of water, and I sipped from it. I placed my left hand on my chest and breathed unhurriedly.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he palpated my head like as though I was his younger sister or something.

"Yes, I am fine." I replied. For some reason, I was enjoying all these pamperings he was bestowing on me cheerfully.

"Good, cuz we would be needing you to be in perfect shape for the reunion." He said. Oh, bloody heck now! This man doesn't give up easy, does he?

***********************************************************************************************
When I said Alan was a young man who had a resilient drive to be perfecto in every fraction of his life, I forgot to add that he was a go-getter too, once he wanted something, he went after it. So somewhere deep inside me knew he was gonna make me attend the reunion. Pamela on the other hand was bent on shedding blood if I refused to accept to go as Alan's date. And the issue of me not going to the reunion was like an abomination to her ears.

After sharing breakfast with Alan, he introduced me to his buddy, the Labrador Retriever.

"Chase is a really really cool guy." Alan said, sounding so cheerful. "The both of us have been best buddies for 3 years now. He was just a puppy when I got him. I could scarcely understand his needs then. Heck! I knew no damn thing about caring for a dog. The first week he spent here, I let him sleep inside the house. Don't judge, dude was so cute then, I couldn't keep him outta my sight. And being a dog lover too made everything worse."