Protection For The Lost

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. What of her?"

John stepped up from behind Tommy, "mind if we come inside, eh?"

"Personally, I'd prefer you didn't, but seeing as the conversation's topic is of importance," He moved backwards and kicked the door open harshly with his boot, "come on in."

The three brothers stepped inside the house, looking around and taking in the place. It smelled strongly of alcohol and cigars. They sat down on the sofa and waited for the man to sit in the chair next to it.

"What'd you say your boys' names were again?" He groaned as he sat down, moving a bit to get comfortable.

"We didn't. However, I believe I know yours. Henry, is it? Henry Bennett?"

The man, now confirmed as Henry, nodded his head and lit a cigarette, putting the fag between his lips. "That's me." Henry breathed out the smoke before moving the stick back to his mouth, stopping only to ask a question. "How'd you know that though?"

"We have our sources. Now, back to Y/n/n?" Tommy was eager to learn more- whatever he could about the woman he was so whipped for. He would take anything he could get, let it be another address, name, number, meal, anything that could possibly be of any help to his search. "What do you know about her?"

"I could be askin' you the same thing. Bloody Peaky Blinder goin' after my girl."

Arthur and John froze in place, like Henry did earlier, and slowly turned to Tommy. Their faces held confusion and slight worry, Tommy, much to their dismay, returning a similar look, mixed with a tint of jealousy. Arthur tried his go at the maker of their clueless emotions. "How-"

"You think I wouldn't notice you lot? I don't know your names, nor do I give two fucks, I don't know if the rumors are true, again, I don't really care, and my lack of knowledge for the two subjects do not matter to me." He got up, walking to the fireplace and grabbing a shot glass from beside it, "plus, the hats really gave you away. I was warned 'bout those."

"Where are you from, Mr. Bennett?"

"Here in the United Kingdom actually. But I went to France after the war. And before you ask, no I did not fight in it. Frankly, I don't care about that shit either."

John chuckled quietly at Henry's response, a chuckle of bitter amusement. Purely disgust of the man. Tommy shared the same feeling, whispering "coward" under his breath.

Arthur continued questioning Henry, "Then why did you go to France?"

"Same reason your glare-y friend here came to my home." Arthur raised his left eyebrow. "Y/n."

John and Arthur looked over to their brother, communicating with their eyes to wordlessly see if he was alright. His jaw was clenched and his fist tightened. He couldn't have been- was Tommy too late? Y/n promised herself to him, why was Henry saying, or rather hinting, that they were an item? Had she forgotten about him? Had she lost hope?

"What's going on? Between you two? Are you childhood friend's or somethin'?"

"Actually, we're lovers. Engaged, to be married in three months time. Why else would I go to see her in France? I had to 'confess my undying love' one way or another."

Arthur, being the eldest of four, knew when someone was talking just to piss another person off, and this was definitely one of those times. Whether what he said was true or not, he was running his mouth to spite Tommy. "Okay, then wh-"

A door creaked open, causing Arthur to stop in the middle of his sentence, all four men going silent and waiting for the cause of the nose to reveal itself. Soft padded thumps sounded in the hall, stopping next to the entrance of the living room door, the door pushed open to reveal a woman with a blanket draped over the parts of her body that weren't covered by her night-gown.