Chapter 1 - Mates

A/N** Hey everyone! This is my first official story on Wattpad, so I hope you like it!

_________________________________________

It all started the day I turned eighteen, the day I was supossed to finally find my mate. I was all hyped up, nervous yet excited at the prospect of finding the one I'd spend the rest of my life with. The nervousness mostly stemmed from the fact that I wasn't entirely convinced that my physical appearance would attract him, whoever it was. I wasn't ugly, per say, but I had that extra fifteen pounds I just couldn't seem to shed no matter how many diets or exercise regimes I went on. My plain blonde hair was nothing to be excited about, nor my normal facial features or green eyes. I was "normal" with a couple of extra pounds, nothing special.

I was daughter of the lowliest ranking male werewolf in the pack. My father has no fighting abilities whatsoever and the only reason we were allowed to stay in the pack is because my father has a great intellect about fighting strategies, though he's never been in a serious fight himself.

My mother died when I was six years old and ever since then it's just been me and my dad. We have the closest father-daughter relationship you can think of.

Of course, being the daughter of a practically rankless male werewolf comes with teasing and bullying, the most common of my bullies being the alpha's son, Greg. Ever since we were kids he would make fun of me because of my father's rank but ever since high school he tends to pick on my weight more instead.

But I decided that today I wasn't going to let his teasing bother me because I was going to find my mate and it would be the happiest day of my life. I would get somebody who would love me regardless of what I look like.

I jumped out of bed and hopped into the shower, belting out a Christmas song since it's the first day of December and I can finally be in the Christmas mood.

I had already spent an hour last night picking out my outfit for today and as I stood in front of my full-length mirror I had a sudden burst of confidence. The dark jeans I was wearing formed to my thighs perfectly and showed off my butt while my shirt flowed outwards in a sexy way while hidding my little muffin top. I made sure my honey blonde hair was as good as I could get it and I even took the time to line my grey eyes with some eyeliner.

I grabbed my bag and walked downstairs into the kitchen where my dad was making me some breakfast.

"Hey Dad." I said.

I greeted him with a kiss on the cheek and he smiled at me.

"Today is the big day, sweetheart."

I grinned like a goof and could barely sit still on the stool I was sitting on.

"I know!" I exclaimed. "I'm so nervous!"

"Don't be nervous Katie, it will all go the way you want it to."

I sighed and commenced day dreaming about my to-be mate until my dad shoved a plate full of homemade chocolate chip waffles under my nose. My favourite! I drenched them with syrup and dug in.

"Do you want a drive to school today?" my dad asked.

I shook my head. "No thanks Dad, I think I'll walk today. I need some fresh air."

He gave me a knowing look and sighed, tears coming to his eyes. "My little girl is growing up."

His voice cracked at the end and I couldn't resist rolling my eyes. My dad is always so emotional when it comes to me. But can I really blame him? After losing my mom, his mate, I'm the only one he's got left.

"Aww, Daddy, don't cry." I stood up to give him a hug and he enveloped me into a bone crushing hug.

"I'm sorry, it's just so hard to give you away." he sighed.

"But you won't be giving me away, Dad. I'll always be here." I reminded him.

He nodded and gave me a crooked smile before giving me a slight push towards the door.

"You better get going before you're late." he advised.

I grabbed my bag off the counter, thanked my dad for breakfast, and headed out the front door as fast as my legs could carry me. I knew that I would automatically be guided to my mate as long as he was eighteen. If not I would probably only have to wait a couple of months, at the most a year.

Mates are normally the same age, otherwise one of them would be waiting too long to find their mate when they come of age which may cause depression among other things. I'd once heard of a man that was thirty years old before he found his mate. But once he did, the damage was already done. He was certified crazy and he killed himself and his mate.

I shook my head to get rid of the idea. That won't happen to me. And sure enough, as soon as I got to school I could feel in my heart that he was here. My mate. I scanned the student body, trying to look for somebody that sparked my interest and sent shivers down my body, but nobody did it for me.

I gave up with a sigh and decided that I would run across him eventually and that I just had to be patient. I fidgeted the entire length of my first two classes and by the time lunch rolled around I was as anxious as ever.

"Katie, stop worrying!" my best friend Alice snapped at me.

"I'm sorry. I'm just scared. What if I don't find him?"

Alice rolled her eyes at me after shoving a french fry in her mouth.

"You'll find him eventually."

I sighed, knowing that she was right but just too scared to admit it. I usually didn't worry about anything like this but it was a touchy subject with me. I haven't had much success with boys in the past so finding my mate was important to me because I knew that he'd accept me.

I suddenly felt a tingly feeling and the hair on my arms stood on end. I could feel that he was behind me so before I missed my chance I whirled around to see who my mate was.

Oh hell no.

His eyes widended and he took a step forward despite himself.

"Greg?" I whispered.