Part Two; Chapter 8: Old Memories

August, 2007

It was her 15th birthday, and Natalie had dressed in a pair of faded jeans, a Greenday tour t-shirt and her hair half up and half down as she came down from her room, smiling at the man who had raised her as a child.

"Good morning, Mr. Fury," she said and coming over to kiss his cheek, he grimace, stating, "Do you have to do that, Roman?"

She giggled, "No, but it's my birthday, which means I can do what I want for the day. And for me to thank you for putting up with me for the last twelve years." There was a box on the table when she had came down, and curious, she asked, "Who is that for?"

"It's for you, from a past life." he said and as she touched the top, she had then looked at her left arm which had the three birthmarks, which seemed to correspond with her shoulder, and the birthmark which was just in between her shoulder blade and spine. "You mean... where all of my birthmarks come from?"

"We figured as we, meaning Emily and I, marked where you had stated each injury you had gotten, and noticed it corresponds where each birthmark is placed." He sighed, and getting up, he said, "You can spend the day doing whatever you want." And he left her in the house, it was big with a lot of windows, which sometimes made Nat feel nervous, but for what? She wasn't so sure. When she heard the car disappear, she took the box upstairs, and reading the note inside, she felt a sense of familiarity as she read it:

Natalie:

If you are reading this, it is your fifteenth birthday and in which I congratulate you on achieving (and Nick Fury hadn't forgotten you in a mall). But I wish to let you know about the pain there is in life, so you are prepared for it unlike I had been.

It starts with the death of our mother, Elizabeth McGregor-Fraser, and then our step-father Harry had beaten us until his demise. You are taken in by the Robertsons of Jersey, their compassion had saved me to be able to tell you all there is to life. You end up becoming a SSR agent and in going in that direction, was taken under the wing of Abraham Erskine, in which if you haven't been to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C. you will be deeply regretting not knowing before now.

You ended up becoming best friends with two unlikely men, Sergeant James "Bucky" Barnes and Captain Steven Rogers, in which you had spent a lot of time with as the Roman Phoenix. You would have fallen for the Captain, because you had a pull for the underdog. Know when you read the letters I have written to Steve Rogers, maybe my memories will come to you.

Happy 15th birthday and keep your head up and don't get wet!

Natalie Catriona McGregor-Fraser

Nat had wiped a tear away, as the woman who had written the note for her must had been alone at the end if she had left a letter for the next one to become the Roman Phoenix. Taking a look at the letters and their dates, she then found a photo of what looked to be an older her, a man with blonde hair and another with dark hair in front of a group of men, and on the back, it read Cpl. Natalie McGregor, Cpt. Steven Rogers, Sgt. James Barnes, Howling Commandos, 1944. Was the Natalie before in much of a heartbreak that she had wanted to save her from the same heartbreak? Nat sighed, putting everything back in as she started on her music lesson, taking her flute out, she began to practice In Dreams by Howard Shore who had done the Lord of the Rings movies, and allowing the music to take her away, to bring her into her own world.

It was dark when she patted down a concrete floor, in a lilac nightgown as she looked through rooms, each one empty with things of the past, and as she entered one room, she felt herself falling, a scream couldn't be produced as she was voiceless, feeling drenched as a disfigured face of a man, red and not human touched her, "You will become my pet."