𝟮𝟲

𝗦𝗣𝗔𝗖𝗘

𝗦𝗣𝗔𝗖𝗘

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

          I groaned as I clambered to my knees, scooting to lean against the wall. We were stuck, trapped, left alone in a strange cell to rot. I should have expected it.

          I wanted to scream. My fingers tangled in my hair, pulling on the strands out of pure frustration. My scalp ached, as did my wounded arm that was only starting to heal. 

          Din was quiet. For the first time ever, we sat in a suffocating, uncomfortable silence. I wanted to reach forward and slap him for getting us in the mess in the first place, but the stupid shiny helmet blocked me from doing so.

          Then I remembered.

          The child.

          They were going to take him away and do who knows what. He was gone and I failed

           I struggled to keep back a whimper, but it escaped my mouth, followed by a shallow sob. Before I knew it, tears welled up in my eyes, slowly dripping down my face. They left a hot trail in their path, reminding me of all I had lost within a matter of minutes. 

          There was a subtle shift next to me, but enough for me to notice. I lifted my head to find Din settling himself next to me, his heavy arm wrapped around my shoulders. 

          He didn't say anything, but he didn't have to either. I knew he felt the same way, he loved the kid and ship more than anyone else. He just happened to have a helmet to shield himself.

          His hand lifted to my face, wiping the tears from my cheeks while they soaked into the tan leather of his gloves. It was so hard to read him with the clunky helmet, but in that moment, I knew that he cared. It ached me to finally admit that to myself. Especially when I came to terms with the fact that I cared about him too.

          I sprung forward and wrapped my arms tight around his neck, sinking into his body. His arms held me so close, I could hear his soft, calming breathing through the modulator.

          "I'm sorry."

          He whispered it so softly that I wasn't sure he actually said it. I thought I may have been imagining the words, but then he said it again.

          "I'm so sorry, Myrah."

          "Din..." I sniffled and pulled back. Not too far, but enough to look at him. "You didn't mean to."

          "This is all strange... I didn't know- I don't know how this works."

          "How-" I stopped myself, trying to decipher his words. "How what works?"