Part 19

(Y/n)'s POV

There were whispers from the other side of the door, I leaned in closer to have a better chance of hearing what were they talking about.

"It is nice to have you here."

"Thank you, and here is a small gift from me." That must be mother's best friend, Madame Framboise, who often came to visit them after her retirement.

"Let's have some tea as we go through this."

"Of course."

"Mind if I ask, does Miss (Y/n) know about your arrangements with the Dubois Family?"

"No, she doesn't." There was a sudden clinking of teacup and saucer from the third person. That was probably Madame Framboise.

"She never know what's good for our family." My mother explained to her.

"So it wouldn't matter to her who would she get married to." My father continued on.

"Furthermore, the Dubois Family is one of the wealthiest family around here, so we wouldn't need to worry about her living for the rest of her life." Mother? How could you...

My pupils shrunk at their statements. Both of them said it so nonchalantly, selling me out like I was nothing but trash that they wanted to get rid of for a very long time.

"But have you ever thought of (Y/n)'s feelings? She was just 16! She never had her sweet sixteen birthday yet you're letting her marry a man she never knew?" Madame Framboise exclaimed.

"Oh, yes. Talking about that, her wedding day will be on her birthday, just to cut costs from spending too much money on unwanted things." Father replied to her and took a sip of his tea.

"Oh Framboise, you should've known us well. Our marriage was arranged by our parents twenty years ago which we didn't even know about each other. And now look, we're still living well and have (Y/n). What does it matter if she's going to marry someone she doesn't know?"

Madame Framboise sighed but still said,"Why wouldn't you let her choose the man she wants? She would not get happiness for the rest of her life if you tie her with a man she doesn't know. The time is not the same as ours now."

"That depends on her and her new fiancé. We could do nothing about it, and if you'll excuse me." I heard mother getting up from the heavy wooden chair and walking nearer to the door. I hold my breathe as I hid myself behind the tapestry near the doors. I only came out after I heard mother's high heels clinking away the tiled floor.

What should I do now... The first person I ever think of is Joseph. I quietly sneaked out the halls and got out from the mansion. I ran to his working place as fast as I could, hoping it's still open.

When I got there, the sign on the front shows "Fermé", oh no... Just as I was standing around in frustration, the voice from my back lit up my hopes.

"What are you doing here, miss?" I turned my head and saw Joseph, standing right there.

"Joseph, I--" But my mouth shut when I met up with his gaze. His eyes were still blue, but it wasn't filled with warmth and love, it was cold.

"I-I just... Wan-wanted.."

He tilted his head down and walked past me, then headed into his workshop. "Sorry, miss, but the shop's closed for today."

"Joseph! No, I- the... " I just couldn't grit the sentence out of my teeth. What if he knew about the marriage? I just can't put myself into telling him all this. But I need help... But..  but what?