Chapter Twenty Six

“Abigail!”, Ian quickly stood up to his feet the moment she walked into her apartment to engulf her in a hug. She was shocked of seeing him back so soon, but she was mostly petrified of seeing him after what she had done. She nearly cried onto his shoulder the minute she was locked safely in his warm embrace but couldn't give it away that something was wrong.

“Babe, what are you doing here? I thought you said you'll be back tomorrow?”, she smiled nervously as she walked past him, she couldn't even look at him in the eye.

“The trip ended earlier than I expected. Stephanie called me in panic last night to tell me that you're not home, and she was worried something had happened to you”.

“She's finally asleep”, Luther appeared from the direction of Stephanie room. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw her, and he hugged her.

“Abbie, thank goodness you're okay”, he released her, and she was dumbfounded of what was really going

“What's going on?”

“Stephanie was really convinced that Angie had something to do with you not coming home last night. She thought something bad had happened. She was even at the verge of calling the police”, Luther explained and her heart sank as even more guilt washed over her.

“Where were you?”, Ian's question caused her insides to twist and crumble in fear. She hasn't come to terms with what had happened to even say it out loud. His piercing look caused her to stutter.

“I was at the library. I had to do some....research”, his face softened at her reply as he gave a nod.

“Why didn't you at least text us that you were okay?”

“My battery died”, that was the only truth from her side of the story and the two men seemed to believe it as they both nodded simultaneously. “I'm sorry”, her voice threatened to break as tears pricked her eyes.

“It's fine. I'm glad you're okay and safe”, he pulled her closer to him.

“I have to get going”, Luther quickly cleared his throat, interrupting on the couple as they shared a moment together. “I'll come check on Stephanie later on”, he walked towards the door.

“I'll see you later Champ “, Ian gave a mini salute as Abigail gave a small wave

“I'll see you lovebirds later”, Luther closed the door behind him. His gaze diverted to her yet again, and she drew a breath, biting the inside of her cheek as they stared into each other's eyes. Her heartbeat accelerated as a cry threatened to escape from her lips.

He noticed her teary eyes looking up at him, and he cupped her face in his hands. “Are you okay sweetheart?”

She gave a short smile as she nodded her head in agreement. She didn't even want to blink because tears would stream down her face.

“I just missed you, that's all”

His lips turned out in a mischievous smile as he had this look in his eyes. “How much did you miss me?”

“So, so much”, she smiled before he leaned to connect their lips together. The second she closed her eyes, tears started streaming down her face. He could taste the saltiness of her tears during the kiss that he withdrew to look at her.

“Are you sure you're okay?”

“Never been better”

“I could lose my license, Austin”, he watched as his doctor paced up and down in his office. The truth about his condition had been revealed. The young doctor couldn't keep on telling a lie anymore. His practice was at stake.