Chapter 10: Revenge

"Are you sure, Sahib?"

"Yes."

"What if she doesn't come?"

"Sh- He will, I am sure."

We were standing near the water at St Katharine's Docks, ready for our trip to Egypt. It's time I took the matter in my hands. I will trample over anyone who tries to come in my way to become the richest man in the world.

"Sahib?" Karim said from beside me.

"Yes, Karim?"

"Wouldn't bringing her along cause trouble?"

"No, it won't. I have made sure that Mr Linton is prepared, and he has passed all the tests so far. He is ready."

"That's not what I meant, Sahib." Karim hesitated for a moment, then continued: "We can go on this trip and make it a success all by ourselves as we always have. There is no need for her."

My little finger twitched.

"Karim?"

"Yes, Sahib?"

"Don't question my decisions."

Because I don't have an answer.

"Yes, Sahib. As you say, Sahib."

Silence.

"I will go check on how the work is proceeding, Sahib." I nodded and Karim left.

I snap opened my watch - with a certain family's coat of arms, and checked the time. It was five minutes to seven. She should be here soon. If she doesn't come in time, I will cut the cost of wasted valuable time by standing here idle, from her wages.

Looking at the ship, the path to success, the path to world-conquer and also a war-zone, I wondered if taking her along was a wise decision.

Wise or not, it is the only option.

I remembered very well our discussion - or more like an argument in Dover.

"How dare you! How could you do that?"

"You're right," I growled. "I can't believe I paid for those clothes out of my own pocket. But I'll promise you, the sum will be deducted from your wages."

"You...! I wasn't talking about bloody money! How could you do this to me?" Tugging at the fabric of the trousers, she took an enraged step towards me. "I thought you had finally gotten it through your thick skull that I am a girl!"

"I know very well what you are!" after all that we have gone through, it's impossible to overlook. "I'm simply doing my very best to ignore the fact - ignore it, and conceal it! If your little speech in front of the Anti-Suffragists was enough to cause such a sensation, do you have any idea what kind of scandal it would be if someone found out that a female is working as my secretary?" - Never mind the fact that she is very efficient.

"I don't care! How could you put me in these again? After all we've been through, how could you do that to me?"

"I do something to you?" I felt like I was about to burst like a volcano with rage. "You dare say that to me? You are the one who humiliated me in public!"

"I didn't humiliate anyone! I told the truth and fought for justice!"

Before I could hold myself back, I had gripped her by the arms and swept her into a dark alley, until I pressed her between the wall and myself.

Feeling of her body made me forget about my anger for a moment. Thanks to my facial expressions - or lack of facial expressions, my sudden change of emotions were not displayed.