𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 09.

Start from the beginning

"No, course not," he looked over at me, shrugging, "who do you think I am, Cherry Cola."

"I don't even know who you are," I scoffed, looking out the window. "And I asked you to stop calling me that."

"After all that," John B laughed, "you still think we're strangers, huh?"

"Jesus, I— I don't even know how old you are, John B," I claimed, a bit outraged at myself for being so stupid.

"Sixteen," he laughed out loud, genuinely finding it funny, as he let one hand fall from the wheel. He ran the unoccupied hand through this hair.

"I should've kicked you in the balls when you showed up at my window," I said, seriously.

"Ouch," he pretended to be offended. "I think," he smiled over at me, "It's because you think I'm cute."

"We just met, smartass," I looked down at my hands, on my legs, "don't go skipping steps."

"Whatever you say," he chuckled to himself, relaxing back into his seat.

We then turned onto the recognizable street, the street my grandparents live on. I looked forward, at the sun that was just starting to go down. I made a mental note to watch the sunset from the living room windows, since I didn't get the chance to see it any other days due to the storm clouds. I imaged it being ten times more beautiful than the occasional ones I'd seen from my apartment.

I shut my eyes hard. "If their truck is outside, John B—"

"You'll punch me, violently, in the stomach, with a baseball bat, I know," he rolled his eyes, driving slowly.

I couldn't sit still in my seat. I was leaning forward, keeping my eyes pinned on the blue mailbox. The house was hidden behind many thick trees. It felt like my  heart was beating inside my throat, a hundred times faster than it should have been. Driving slowly, the dirty brown van pulled up past the trees, and the front lawn came into view, and I almost shut my eyes out of anxiousness.

But there was no truck on the lawn, where it was usually parked. It felt like the weight of the world was no longer leaning on my shoulders, and I let out a long breath of relief. I blinked quickly, before unstrapping my seat belt.

"Thanks for the boat ride, and drive home," I said quickly, while pushing the passenger door open. I jumped out and walked around the front of the vehicle, John B watching me.

"No problem," he said, his tone of voice normal, almost tired, "hey— uh, Charlotte?"

I stopped beside the mailbox, about to walk over the front lawn and into the house. I stopped, turning around.

"Thanks," he rubbed a hand over his face quickly, "for, um— helping me, and my friends," He tried to smile, but seemed shy to. "I know we don't really know each other, so thank you."

I found myself smiling back at him, before looking down to my feet, hiding it. "Just don't sneak up outside my window, again." I laughed.

"Yeah," he laughed back lightly, his teeth showing.

"Are the sunsets good on this island," I suddenly asked, feeling the question itch my throat.

A wide smile broke out on his face, waiting a second to reply, "Yeah, of course," he laughed, tapping a hand on his door. "Are you asking me on a date to watch the sunset?" he narrowed his eyebrows jokingly. "Smooth operator."

I found myself laughing, my head tilting down to hide the smile.

"Well," he let his hand collide with his van door once more, turning his head, ending the blooming silence. "See ya around, Charlotte," he gripped both hands on the steering wheel, still smiling.