Chapter Six-teen: Things He Knows

Itona, Todoroki, and (Y/n) were all standing together in a tight circle, whispering. Tsukishima figured it had to do with Nagisa. He hadn't come to class all week, and he figured they were all ghouls. After thinking about how Yamaguchi had interacted with them, now, it was clear. He tried not to sigh as Nobuta and Chōsuke went to try and join them.

The looks the group gave them were the same as the ones Nagisa and Itona used to give (Y/n) and Todoroki. He figured that the two were also ghouls, just not close to them. Tsukishima's heart sunk and squeezed as he wondered if Yamaguchi would have ended up close to them too. 

When the day had finally ended, Tsukishima stayed behind in the classroom. He'd noticed that the group of probably-ghouls almost always did the same. Tsukishima wanted to see if him staying would cause them any discomfort, just as a final test to see if they really were all that suspicious. 

It took about two minutes for them all to clearly be uncomfortable and want him to leave. He didn't want to wait any longer. It wasn't fair to them that they didn't know he knew, and after what had happened to his best friend, he wanted to make sure that he was clear and thorough with everything.

"Tsukishima, is everything alright? You...don't normally stay," Todoroki said, clear intent behind his words. It was an invitation to speak up or leave. 

"Yeah. How're you holding up?" (Y/n) asked, more concerned with his well-being than their privacy. He figured that they could talk later and/or elsewhere.

"Fine, thanks," Tsukishima replied stiffly. He took a deep breath, all their eyes on him. "did something happen to Shiota? I know you guys are ghouls, and you all seem just as worried as everyone else, if not more."

"What?" Itona questioned. He wasn't sure if he was angry or terrified. The reason Yamaguchi was gone was that Tsukishima ratted him out.

Tsukishima wanted to curse himself at their reactions. "I'm not going to tell anyone, and you don't have to off me...I won't say anything. I wasn't thinking when I reported Yamaguchi, and...and I regret it more than anything I ever have or ever will. I just wanted you all to know that I know. I don't plan on getting involved in any of your business."

"How did you find out?" Itona asked. It sounded more like an order.

"After finding out about Yamaguchi, the way he acted with you guys just made sense. He wasn't outgoing at all. He wouldn't have talked to you guys just because he'd seen you before, and his mother's workplace doesn't host a bring-your-kid-to-work day."

"Huh," Todoroki said intelligibly. "well, guys, what do we do about this? No offense, Tsukishima, but you're not exactly the most credible."

"Yeah. We know humans hate ghouls, too. How do we know you won't say anything for sure?" (Y/n) questioned.

"If any more ghouls as this school were reported, a real investigation would start. That would endanger Yachi...I can't do that to her...I can't lose her too, especially not by my own doing."

"You know about me?" Yachi had just opened the door. Now, she was frozen. 

Tsukishima jumped as he turned around. "Yeah. I planned to tell you in private. I don't want the thing with Yamaguchi to happen again, so I'm going to be completely out and open now. If I hear something or learn something, I'm not going to keep it from you."

"Good. Is there anyone we need to worry about?"

"Not that I know of. I do think that Nobuta and Chōsuke are ghouls, but, you don't have to clarify that for me." Tsukishima pulled his bag over his shoulder and started toward the door. "I'm going ahead to practice, Yachi."