1 ✨

I licked my fingers as I simotanously glared at the analog that hung on the break rooms dull walls.

3:00pm.

Two more hours of labor before I could head home and turn my shitty brown hair to a light violet. Two more hours before I could sit my ass on my couch and binge watch American Horror Story and get new torture ideas for my enemies. Two more hours before I could turn on my LED light strips, light up a candle and soak in the bath.

I throw away my black plastic lunch plate and quickly skip back downstairs and out from the back inside the storefront toward the bathroom.

As I was about to push open the women's door-the men's bathroom door swings open.

Kelsey.

He was tall, his hair was long and wrapped in a bun behind his neck, his eyes a beautiful hazel and...red?

I look at him. His face sagged with sadness. He quickly sniffled before making eye contact with me.

I quickly blink and my face frowns with concern and I clear my vocal cords, wondering if I should say anything.

"Hey-are...are you okay?" I ask him, stepping toward him.

He wipes his tears with Shakey hands. "I'm fine." He quickly answers, his "bad boy" vibe rabidly returning.

"You sure?" I ask again, asserting more dominance.

He blinks. "Ye-yes...just a little anxious is all."

"Wanna talk about it?"

He shakes his head. "Maybe later-I gotta get back to work or Dennis will hand me my ass if I stay a minute past break." He chuckles, pushing some bangs back.

"Oh okay. Well you know where to find me." I say stupidly as I watch him leave.

I push into the bathroom and wash my hands before darting back to the labor department.

Since we all worked in close quarters in the back, I was able to see Kelsey every once in a while.  He was back smiling and fucking around while working.

I suppose my goal of being hero at least once in my life wasn't going to happen today.

I grab a cart full of ice cream and popsicles and make a mental note to het some banana pops as I push open the back freezer and push in the cart.

I see Kelsey again. This time, he was pressed against the wall, holding his heart, his breath uneven, tiny whimpering slipping from his mouth.

I rush toward him and grab his arm concerned.

"Are you okay? And be honest this time." I demand.

His eyes break with tears. He slides down the wall and I wrap him in my arms. He was cold. He must of been hiding for a while. I pull him close and shush him.

"I'm having an anxiety attack-" he managed to sput out, rocking on his butt in my arms. He shivered quickly and I rock him softly, humming in his ear.

"It's okay hun, let it out. Breath. You're safe." I repeat over and over again.

He sobs hard in my arms. His arms became heavy as he settles into safety into my arms.

I rub his back and cup his face.

"It's okay hun." I say wiping his tears away.

He calms down, nodding his head.

"Thank-thank you, Eloise. No one has held me like that before-I needed that." He softly says.

I press my head onto his, putting my finger under his chin. "There is no shame in a man needing to cry. It's normal."

His eyes get teary again as he hugs me tight.

"Thank you." He whispers as we stand up.

"Can I get your number? Just in case something like this happens again and I need reassurance that I'm not a pussy." He says quickly.

I chuckle. "Sure." I say taking his phone.

He smiles.

"Thank you. So much."

I guess I was hero after all today !