"Will, no! This doesn't change anything." I twisted my hair around my finger distractedly. "You get me more than anyone else."

Will opened his mouth and then looked like he reconsidered. "We should get up to the Bridge." This time, he waited for me to go first. The walk down the hallway was awkward but I could not insist we flesh out the strange incident because we had to hurry. When we got to the turbolift, I turned to him again.

"We need to talk about this more, Will."

Will sighed. "I know."

"Tonight, after we're done. You can buy me dinner."

I got a laugh out of him. "My pleasure."

The Bridge was full of the rest of the senior officers when we got there. Picard stood when we entered and I noticed Data at Ops and Wesley at the Con. Worf stood behind the tactical station, looking, as always, ready for a fight. As I followed Will down the ramp, I saw Deanna Troi sitting to Picard's left, the first I had seen of her since my arrival. She gave me a smile.

"We are within visual range," Data said as I took up a standing position to Will's right. The three of us stood in a row, watching the viewscreen. I took a deep breath, trying to get over the total bewilderment I felt over Will's confession.

"Onscreen," Picard ordered. Data hit a few buttons and the screen immediately filled with a background of stars behind a rapidly growing planet. I stepped forward as the planet grew bigger, feeling my breath catch in my throat. Slowly, Sandor filled the screen, the familiar outlines of continents and oceans moving so slowly below us.

"Assume standard orbit, Mr. Crusher," Picard ordered.

"Aye, sir, standard orbit."

A few seconds passed as I stared at the planet we circled. White streaks of clouds obscured part of the planet but for the most part it was surprisingly clear. We were on the lighted side of the planet and, far below, I could make out the area that had been my former home, my former prison, a place I hadn't seen in over ten years.

Why the hell had I come back?

"Are you alright?" Will stepped over to touch my arm, a note of worry reaching his voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said. I turned my attention to the viewscreen, trying to watch it dispassionately. "I'm ready."

"Mr. Worf," Picard said, "open a channel to their government command."

"Channel open, sir, but there is no response," Worf informed the Captain a moment later, his voice carrying its usual tone of aggravation.

"This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation Starship Enterprise," Picard began, stepping forward. "Please respond." After a second he glanced back at Worf, looking as though he didn't really expect a reply. He got none.

"Still no response, sir."

"Continue transmitting," Picard returned his full attention back to the viewscreen, tugging down his shirt, and began again. "I have with me someone to whom you may wish to speak. She is a Sandorian and we are willing to let her speak on our behalf so we can negotiate a satisfactory agreement. Please respond."

There was again no response and Picard nodded to me. Breathing hard, I stepped forward and addressed the planet below.

"This is Tasha Lawrence on board the Enterprise. I was born and raised on Sandor. The Federation has asked me to contact you so we can work out an ending to the conflict. If you won't deal with the Federation, then please deal with me." I paused, then added, "None of us want this situation to get any worse. The Federation is willing to negotiate with you. Please respond." When I finished, we waited a moment and then Picard nodded at Worf to cut the signal.